Broadband connection keeps dropping!

MartynHoll 20:33 08 Jul 05

I have been using broadband with no problems for around 8 months. I was upgraded recently from 512K to 1MB and still no problems. After about a week, I started getting drop-outs after about 5 mins. The modem would go into training and then back to 'on line' and I would be able to connect again. I reported the line to BT and all was testing OK. I proved the PC to be OK, the internal wiring and the filters, so I am fairly certain that it is either a line fault, equipment fault or beyond!
This went on for about 2 days and then it was OK again - no drop-outs at all. This same sequence has been going on for about 3 weeks, the last good spell has lasted for 4 days... until this evening.
Has anyone got any good ideas as to how I can help BT find the fault as every time they test, it, it is OK.

Graham ® 20:42 08 Jul 05

Common causes of Broadband disconnections:

USB modem not getting sufficient power. The modem requires 500mA to function correctly. That is the maximum available on a USB hub. As a hub normally has two ports, the second port must not be used. The modem must be connected directly to the computer, not via an external hub.

The computer may be configured to turn off the modem to save power. In Device Manager, find the modem. It may be under Network adapters. Select Action, Properties, Power Management. Do a similar check on any Routers you are using.

Phone extension cabling may be prone to induced interference from mains wiring. If necessary, run a temporary extension lead to rule this out.

Radio interference from cordless, including DECT, telephones. Turn them off to prove.

Radio interference from taxis, CBs, neon lights, streetlights, etc. If this is suspected, BT can fit a suppressor to the incoming line.

There may be a clue in Event Viewer. Start, right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, System. Select an Event, Action, Properties. You can send the data to Microsoft for more detailed information.

Stuartli 20:44 08 Jul 05

Do you get any error messages?

wee eddie 20:44 08 Jul 05

Cordless Telephones have a notorious inability to co-exist with Broadband.

That is not to say that they don't work perfectly well for about 95% of the population

Magik ®© 20:50 08 Jul 05

a link to all the others having the same problem.

click here

wee eddie 20:58 08 Jul 05

A superb classic response to a really frustrating problem.

Graham ® 21:03 08 Jul 05

Thanks, I have a copy ready to paste at the drop of a hat.

MartynHoll 21:04 08 Jul 05

The thing is, I have proved that it is not my computer as I have used my laptop as well and i have connected it to the master jack with all the house wiring disconnected and it still does it and why would it then be alright for 4 days. I wonder if it weather related?

wee eddie 21:08 08 Jul 05

Just an idea

MartynHoll 21:17 08 Jul 05

house with overhead dropwire to the DP (I work for BT so i know the terms!)

Stuartli 22:17 08 Jul 05

Have you tried the latest drivers for the modem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…