Broadband connection hangs

Chris-238213 11:28 29 Dec 05

I have a broadband internet account with Virgin (2Mbps) and use an Evesham PC with Win XP and a Trust 445A ADSL modem/router. Pretty much everytime I launch internet explorer it fails to reach my home page (BBC) and it times out with the page could not be found error message. Usually after a few attempts I can get connected but the connention usually freezes after 10 or 15 minutes and I have to either wait a few minutes and re-launch internet explorer or re-boot the modem. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or could advise on a solution?

woodchip 11:40 29 Dec 05

First try this click here

If you do not have a XP CD this may work

Go to search, type IE.inf press enter then right click the file when it finds it, choose Install

Chris-238213 12:32 29 Dec 05

thanks for the advice Woodchip but I can't get ie.inf to install. I don't have an XP CD but found the ie.inf file in Windows inf folder but when I try and install it asks for IEXPLORE.EXE prompting me to put XP service pack 2 CD in but then can't find IEXPLORE.EXE on the CD?

woodchip 12:42 29 Dec 05

IEXPLORE.EXE is in two places on my laptop.

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

The other is

C:\WINDOWS\ServicsPackFiles\i3856

Check you have the file in both these places, if it's only in one then right click and drag the file to other location, and create a copy or copy then past to new location

Chris-238213 12:52 29 Dec 05

Yes, IEXPLORE.EXE is in both locations

Chris-238213 18:07 29 Dec 05

changed modem connection to computer from USB to network cable and so far seems to be OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…