Broadband connection goes to sleep

kbp 23:48 19 Mar 04

Broadband connection is to BTinternet via Voyager 2000 wireless router. The wireless connections from other two PCs elsewhere in the house always work instantly no matter how long left inactive but the connection from my main PC which is connected by Ethernet lead to the router "goes to sleep" if left without use for more than half an hour and the only way to restore the connection is either to reboot the PC or to repeatedly open and then close Internet Explorer until the row of green boxes in bottom rh corner lights up. When the connection is "asleep", it is not just IE that is affected, Outlook Express can't connect to server either.

Any ideas on cause/remedies, please?

Lemur 00:27 20 Mar 04

You might like to take a look at my recent query entitled: "Always on" BT Broadband connection goes down.

I am not familiar with your set-up, but the solution I was led to, might just help, viz: My Computer/Control Panel/Phone & Modem/Modems/Right Click your Modem/Properties/Power Management/Tick the second option: "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"/OK.

Good luck.

Djohn 02:31 20 Mar 04

Try right click on your "My Computer Icon" Choose properties/Hardware tab/Device manager.

Scroll down to "Universal serial bus controlers" and click on each USB hub one at a time with a right mouse click sellecting properties/Power management.

Remove the tick from the box that says, "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power" j.

kbp 18:07 20 Mar 04

Unfortunately, neither of these suggested solutions have corrected the problem. If it helps, when attempting to connect after the connection has "gone to sleep", the message at the bottom of the IE page attempting to open Google reads " res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm..." > I suspect this is merely opening the "Page not Found" screen but at this stage, I am prepared to grasp at any straw!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…