broadband connection fails when phone rings

oddshape 13:21 20 Oct 09

My broadband works fine until the phone rings. It reconnects after a few seconds but it is frustrating if I'm downloading etc. My ISP (Tiscali) have (twice) failed to resolve the problem. I have replaced the filters with new ones. Any ideas?

ambra4 13:43 20 Oct 09

Remove all devices on the line leaving only the broadband modem/router

Open your browser and ring the line, if the broadband drops out you need to get the line checked

If the broadband does not drops out install a phone on the line and try again it could be one of the

phone extension causing the problem

Jollyjohn 13:43 20 Oct 09

Find your BT master socket where the phone line enters the house. You should be able to remove the faceplate and find a test socket behind it. Plug the filter in here, connect the router/modem and a phone, connect to the internet. Phone in and see if the connection drops. If it does it is a BT wiring issue.
If the connection is OK then it is an wiring issue within the house.

oddshape 14:41 04 Nov 09

I switched my ISP (not because of the problem) and I couldn't connect at all. After lots of plugging and unplugging I discovered it was the phone extension lead. No problems at all now. Thanks for your help ambra4 & Jollyjohn.

ambra4 15:40 04 Nov 09

Glad to hear all sorted

Enjoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…