Broadband connection dropping

diemen 18:52 20 Feb 06

This has been an ongoing problem since BB was first enabled. At particular times of the day and evening the BB connection drops out, was out for over 2 hours the other night.

In the past modem was a Zoon USB, now run through a Belkin Wireless modem/router, ISP is Virgin Net (like the idea of not being tied in for 12 mnth period) OS Win XP Pro on main comp XP Home on laptop.

I am now getting to the stage of being fed up with paying and not receiving the service I've paid for. Can anyone suggest what could be the cause or even a more reliable ISP.

bruno 21:06 20 Feb 06

Mine kept dropping out and BT found that the box outside my house needed replacing as it was about 30 years old.Never had a problem since.I don't know if this applies to wireless connections though.

ade.h 21:09 20 Feb 06

The ISP is probably not the most likely culprit. A BT engineer might be a good idea, if you can pursuade it to send one.

ade.h 21:10 20 Feb 06

At least you know that your hardware is unlikely to be to blame.

namsnik 21:54 20 Feb 06

Before involving BT try to eliminate issues that could be your responsibility (and BT could charge you for resolving).

Your router should connect direct to the socket where the BT line comes into the property. (Wiring beyond that is of lower quality).

Hopefully you will have the sort of BT master socket that you can take the front off, in the process unplugging all your extensions. You can then plug your router directly into the socket (via filter of course) and be certain that the issue is not related to 'your' wiring. Do this when you are having problems.

Change filter in case that is faulty.

Have you got filters on everything?

If you cannot connect direct to the master socket then consider installing new, high quality cabling from it to your modem. The cable must be twisted pair. CAT 5 UTP will do the job although a bit bulky having extra pairs it does add some flexibility if you want to distribute filtered and unfiltered signals around the house (see ADSLNATION site for good quality filter that avoids the need for one at every socket)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…