broadband connection

murphyman 04:18 02 Dec 06

hi all,
my friend got cable broadband installed today,
now the problem is, he cannot get an internet connection.
Yet when i plug my laptop through the ethernet
cable from his modem i can get on the internet
no problem.
he has windows xp sp2.
can anyone give a list of settings, to get on the
internet? i would greatly appreciate it,as i would like to help him, but at the moment it is outside my area of expertise.
thanking you. ger

Jackcoms 06:57 02 Dec 06

"can anyone give a list of settings, to get on the internet?"

Your friend's ISP should have provided a CD to run on his/her PC which will install all the necessary settings.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:17 02 Dec 06

f you have an Ethernet connection it is possible to set up without the Set-Up CD.
If you connect via USB you will need the Broadband Set-Up CD.

This tutorial shows you how to manually configure your browser and connection settings.

click here

mgmcc 09:19 02 Dec 06

If you are connecting to a Cable Modem by ethernet cable, there are no settings. It is no different from plugging a PC into a router - all addresses are delivered by DHCP.

It is important to power off the Cable Modem for a couple of minutes so that it releases the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address it has allocated to it. Power on the Cable Modem and, when fully booted, power on the router. A new connection will be recognised and a new IP address allocated to it. You should then have internet access.

Obviously, the PC's "Local Area Connection" needs to have its TCP/IP settings configured to obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically which, in any case, is the default.

birdface 09:42 02 Dec 06

If he is with NTL And has the phone line included, Dial 150 Will put you through to help and support,Normally no or very short waiting time,Probably be the same with Telewest

murphyman 14:55 02 Dec 06

thank you all for your replies, it is very much appreciated, he is now up and running, once again thank you. ger

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac