Broadband connection

opusone 22:28 05 Nov 05

Just had BT Brodband installed, replacing Tesco DialUp. Now, when I switch the computer on from Standy I cannot make the internet connection. ( I can make the broadband connection when switching the computer on from being switched off completely. Computer has XP.

phono 22:33 05 Nov 05

It is probably a USB issue, I take it you have a USB modem?

Report back on the make and model of modem that you have installed.

phono 22:34 05 Nov 05

Sorry forgot to add, also give us any error messages you receive.

opusone 23:20 05 Nov 05

Thanks Phono

Bt router Voyager 205 using Ethernet connection.
When starting computer from "cold", I can acess the internet. I cannot access internet when resuming from havibg has the computer on StandBy.

dagwoood 02:40 06 Nov 05

Something for you to try opusone.

Go into your control panel, select Network and Internet connections > Network Connections. Now, right click on the icon for your ethernet adaptor and click on Properties. Click on the Configure button at the top and select the Power Management tab. If the box with the description "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" has a tick in it, remove the tick and click on the O.K. button at the bottom.

HTH, dagwoood.

Stuartli 10:54 06 Nov 05

I think you may also be confusing Standby with Hibernate - the latter preserves all the settings, configuration etc when the system is switched back on.

opusone 08:41 12 Nov 05

Thank you all, Problem now solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…