Broadband Connection

dazz10 21:08 17 Feb 05

Hi,

I've had broadband for a while now without any problems until I recently uninstalled Norton AntiVirus on XP. Since then when I open internet explorer my computer freezes for a while and doesn't connect until a ballon pops up saying that my computer may be at risk as windows firewall is not turned on. I have turned it on but seems to turn itself off when I switch my machine off. As soon as this balloon pops up it connects.

Any help would be appreciated as its taking longer than dial up to connect!
Thanks

Darren

Technotiger 21:44 17 Feb 05

Hi, do you have any other Firewall besides WinXp one? If you do, then you do not need to worry about XP firewall, it will switch itself off in favour of any other firewall. XP one is not fully secure anyway, so it is better to have another one such as Zone Alarm or Kerio - both free.

Technotiger 21:46 17 Feb 05

also - have you made sure that Norton AV has been completely removed - you could check this by doing a search (all files & folders) then deleting anything to do with Norton AV that might show up.

dazz10 21:50 17 Feb 05

Thanks for the responses.

Might try a different firewall.

I tried deleting all the files and folders but some things don't delete and I get access denied! Could there be something running in the background?

Technotiger 22:02 17 Feb 05

Something running in background? anything is possible, you could try looking at your running processes by going to start/run type in - ms config.
then go to start and services tabs to see what is running.

Technotiger 22:03 17 Feb 05

btw - is xp the only firewall you have running?
if so I would strongly advise zone alarm or kerio instead.

THE TERMINATOR 22:10 17 Feb 05

You could try looking in task manager, to see if any related NAV programs are still there....TT

dazz10 10:13 18 Feb 05

I've now installed zone alarm and windows firewall is off but its still doing the same except the balloon isn't popping up.

If I do a search for norton it finds one folder called 'norton internet security' when I try to delete it it says access denied cannot delete nisres.dll.

Technotiger 12:36 18 Feb 05

Hi, seems as if you are almost there. A-Shampoo WinOptimizer or similar might get rid of the redundant Norton dll.

Download.com - Free...
Ashampoo WinOptimizer 2000 Download Now ... that the manufacturer's name is Ashampoo, because that's exactly what this neat utility is: A shampoo.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…