//some 3rd party need geo

Broadband connection

NORFOLK SPARKY 17:50 06 Dec 03

Could one of the more knowlegeble of you tell me if a broadband connection would be suitable for me as I do not have my computer swiched on 24 hrs a day. If I switch it off I assume the connection is broken would it automaticaly reconnect when I turn on again? Thanks in antisipation

Djohn 17:57 06 Dec 03

If it's a USB modem, then the link will be broken when turning off the PC or clicking on the Icon to disconnect while your PC is still on.

Not like a dial-up connection though, click on the Icon to connect to your ISP, and the connection is almost instant, then you can leave it open all the time your PC is on if you wish.

Just click on your web browser when you want to surf, or visit any site. j.

howard60 08:00 07 Dec 03

if you get broadband that you have an up to date virus checker and a firewall installed.

roy 10:42 07 Dec 03

Only you can decide if it is worth it for you but for most of us it is a 'no going back' situation. Whether you are on line 24/7 or only a few hours a day once you have tried it you will want to throw your old modem away. Do you do any downloading? With broadband it is a revelation. You can see videos from news sites, etc..
By the way, you can disconnect from your ISP at any time without switching your pc off if it is an adsl bb that you are on. Don't know whether this applies to cable but would think it might.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…