broadband and command prompt

Trackrat 17:12 19 Dec 03

Can anyone tell me how to ping my broadband connection from the command prompt to make sure that packets are being sent and received because my nephew who is with NTL is having a lot of problems with his, so I need to check it out.
I allready know about the ipconfig commands. any help would be appreciated.
Regards Alan

Trackrat 18:01 19 Dec 03

anyone

bremner 18:04 19 Dec 03

You do not say what O/S you have but from XP help

To test a TCP/IP configuration by using the ping command

To quickly obtain the TCP/IP configuration of a computer, open Command Prompt, and then type ipconfig. From the display of the ipconfig command, ensure that the network adapter for the TCP/IP configuration you are testing is not in a Media disconnected state.

At the command prompt, ping the loopback address by typing ping 127.0.0.1.

Ping the IP address of the computer.
Ping the IP address of the default gateway.
If the ping command fails, verify that the default gateway IP address is correct and that the gateway (router) is operational.

Ping the IP address of a remote host (a host that is on a different subnet).
If the ping command fails, verify that the remote host IP address is correct, that the remote host is operational, and that all of the gateways (routers) between this computer and the remote host are operational.

Ping the IP address of the DNS server.
If the ping command fails, verify that the DNS server IP address is correct, that the DNS server is operational, and that all of the gateways (routers) between this computer and the DNS server are operational.

Trackrat 18:20 19 Dec 03

bremmer.
Thanks for that it was exactly what i was looking for.
Alan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…