Broadband Capping

Pine Man 14:04 22 Dec 05

I have just upgraded from Tesco unlimited 512kb BB to 1mb BB capped at 3gb.

Having asked tesco what happens if I exceed my limit the answer I get is that they are looking into it but I might have difficulty making a connection?

Does anybody have any experience of exceeding a capping and can they advise me what happened?

Its too early to tell with Tesco as they have only just started capping usage but their service is provided by NTL so it might be interesting to hear from NTL users.

I have a broadband usage monitor running and it appears unlikely that I will exceed my capping unless i'm very busy.

Happy Christmas everybody and keep up the good work!

Stuartli 15:05 22 Dec 05

Unless you are doing very large audio or visual downloads, you are unlikely to exceed the cap.

I used to have a 2GB cap and yet, even though I'm online for up to 15 hours a day for long stretches and that includes various downloads, I never exceeded the maximum.

keef66 15:05 22 Dec 05

I'm with NTL 1mb with a 3 Gig cap. I was a bit nervous at first moving from 500k uncapped, but the kids keep downloading movie and game demos, music etc, and I have never noticed any reduction in speed or connection reliability.
just had an e-mail from them saying it's going to be uncapped from january anyway, so I'm not really worried. Maybe Tesco will follow suit

stalion 15:07 22 Dec 05

you are very unlikely to exceed 3gb it would take a vast amount of downloading so happy Christmas and New Year

GaT7 16:00 22 Dec 05

I've been on NTL (1Mbps/3Gb) for the last 5-6 months, & exceeded the limit on 2-3 occasions by a few hundred Mb. No slap on the wrist so far as they're yet to introduce their data usage tools (if it still applies) click here & scroll to the bottom, & I exceeded the limit by a small amount only.

Haven't had the uncapped email that keef66 mentions - it'll be great if I get it too. G

pj123 17:56 22 Dec 05

I am on NTL cable (2mb) at £24.99 per month. The cap is 30gb per month = 1gb per day. I have never come close or exceeded this limit.

Daveboy 22:55 22 Dec 05

I have BT 2meg with 40 Gb per month, I have been running a bandwith meter for 14 months and have realised a total of up & downstream of just 27.9 Gb.

Minkey1 23:56 22 Dec 05

Daveboy

I'm on same product as you. Although I'm sure I'll be nowhere near 40gig/month, Id be interested to measure it. What meter are you using ? My BT 2100 router does show some figures but not clearly and they get reset anyway.

Stuartli 13:06 23 Dec 05

I use the Tautology Bandwidth Meter (freeware):

click here

Daveboy 19:09 23 Dec 05

Same as Stuartli !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…