Broadband cable installation

oo7juk 12:18 25 Jan 06

Hi there,

I recently had NTL broadband but have moved to Pipex. Due to Pipex being ADSL and moving my PC I have the following questions that I hope someone can answer please.

The ADSL cable that Pipex have provide is not long enough, would it affect performance if I used a longer cable 10+ mts, or

Would it be better to install a secondary telephone socket next to my PC and using the ADSL that Pipex provided. I'm not sure if the filter would work though as my telephone and PC will be in different places.

Hope I have explained myself.

Many thanks

xania 12:33 25 Jan 06

Don't think the extra length cable would make any difference in performance - just make sure its laid so that no one can trip over it.

If you install a second socket, you will need a filter/splitter on each socket.

PaulB2005 12:49 25 Jan 06

"The ADSL cable that Pipex have provide is not long enough, would it affect performance if I used a longer cable 10+ mts"

Yu can but keep the cabel as shor as possibl;e.

"Would it be better to install a secondary telephone socket next to my PC and using the ADSL that Pipex provided. I'm not sure if the filter would work though as my telephone and PC will be in different places."

Would be better and you'd need a filter on both telephone sockets.

PaulB2005 12:49 25 Jan 06

Sory i typed everything out and then had problems posting.....

oo7juk 10:17 26 Jan 06

Does that mean that if I install a secondary socket my original master socket will have a filter pluged into it and my phone cable. The other socket (secondary) will have a filter with the adsl cable pluged into it only.

Is that how it works.

Thanks.

pj123 10:37 26 Jan 06

Yes, and you could also plug another phone into it as well, if you wanted to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…