Broadband cable

dweeb 14:16 13 Nov 03

I want to install an ADSL USB modem, but my computer is about 28 ft away from the BT phone socket and I am clueless about what lead to buy and how to fit it when I get it. Can anyone help please?

Regards dweeb

minter 14:58 13 Nov 03

The simplest way would be to purchase an extension for your phone, and plug your filter and USB modem into that

Djohn 15:11 13 Nov 03

you can buy a long modem lead. RJ11 connectors both ends, this will plug into your modem and straight into the ASDL socket of the filter. j.

dweeb 15:28 13 Nov 03

thanks for the help both of you,, now I think I'll need the long modem cable - it sounds to me like the right solution,, but where can I get one? Any suggestions to get a match with a USRobotics modem? I can't find any such extras on their website...

Regards again,, dweeb

rosyred 15:42 13 Nov 03

I asked bt about this prob last week and they recommended moving the phone socket nearer to the modem as a modem cable longer than 15feet could affect the signal!!!!!!******???????

Djohn 15:43 13 Nov 03

Maplins have them in stock up to 4 or 5 metres in length, and I believe they will make longer ones for you. Large D.I.Y Stores, such as B & Q also sell the parts you need.

You can buy a length of phone cable and two connectors, just make sure you wire them the same way as the standard modem cable. IE: "crossover". j.

Djohn 15:49 13 Nov 03

Can't see any reason for a cable over fifteen foot long causing a problem. Though I have seen recommendations to keep the length under forty-five foot, [But no explanation as to why]. My Broadband modem lead is 5 metres long and works fine. j.

rosyred 16:05 13 Nov 03

I knew they were talking twaddle.At the moment it's lying across the floor - I'll trip over it before long. Best place to come for a reliable answer
Thanks

rosyred 18:35 13 Nov 03

Found a phone extension in my box of 'things that might come in handy sometime'. Plugged on end into the phone socket and the filter - modem - telephone in the other. Jobs a goodn thanks

dweeb 11:28 14 Nov 03

thanks you lot,, I have found the answers, but you all carry on chatting ref. cables etc. ;-)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…