Broadband and bad phone line

charlton200 08:14 10 Sep 06

Hi,
I have my main phone in my hallway and another phone socket in my bedroom.

My problem is that since I have had tiscali broadband installed , the quality of my phone line has dropped, that you have trouble hearing the person on the other end of the line, especially when the Internet is on.

I thought that was the purpose of broadband, except for the faster connection , that you could use your phone even when you were on the Internet.

Its not quiet so bad when not on the internet but not very good either.

Anyone else have this trouble.

Thanks

Stuartli 08:51 10 Sep 06

It might sound a stupid question, but have you used an ADSL splitter/filter on each phone socket?

charlton200 09:20 10 Sep 06

Yes i have done that.

Fingees 09:37 10 Sep 06

Have you tried swappin g the filters over?

some can be a bit duff.

Stuartli 09:43 10 Sep 06

One test of the quality of your phone line is to dial 17070; an automated voice will state your phone number and provide an options choice.

Select two for "Quiet Line". It should be free of noise or interference.

If it is noisy then get in touch with BT and request a line test. It could be a BT line fault or, alternatively, a problem with your line from the house box (the point where the line enters your property) and the Master Socket.

If the latter then you may have to pay BT for work done as it is only responsible for the line up to the house box.

I had a similar problem with a steadily deterioriating dialup connection about two years ago (my phone line is about 25 years old); a request to boost the gain didn't work so BT ran a test at the time on my line from the exchange.

The engineer decided that my system would have to be checked out and, the following day, all the wiring from the house box to the Master Socket (replaced with a new one) was replaced.

Fortunately the problem proved to be in BT's section of the line outside and I didn't have to pay for the work. Since then my line has been completely noise free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…