Broadband: are two pc's and one connection possibl

Warwicks 13:21 08 Feb 05

My wife and I have separate computers: her is a desktop, mine a laptop. We want to get broadband. Can someone please tell us if we are able to have one broadband contract which will allow us to use (at different times of course) our two machines which have two different ISPs?

plsndrs3 13:28 08 Feb 05

Different ISPs = two contracts. If you don't intend to be online at the same time, just have 2 accounts with one ISP - one for each of you. If you prefer to keep them seperate-eg friends already have set email addresses with the ISPs - then you just need 2 BT sockets as each ISP will provide its own BB modem .....

mgmcc 13:41 08 Feb 05

With broadband, that is the ISP. You can share the connection either by using a router or by enabling "Internet Connection Sharing" in a 'host' PC that has to be running and online for the 'client' PC to have internet access.

With a router, either PC can have independent access without having to depend on a 'host' PC being online. You cannot use a broadband connection to connect to the internet via a different ISP in the same way as you can have unlimited "dialup" ISPs set up.

mgmcc 13:43 08 Feb 05

Also, you cannot have more than one broadband service set up on your phone line at the same time.

Danoh 14:15 08 Feb 05

Depends which ISPs you have as I presume you mean you have different email service providers.

If one of them use POP3 email protocols that usually allows you to access the email servers to download/send emails when you have gained access to the internet via another ISP's broadband service.

If both of them uses POP3 email protocols then you can access both with a 3rd and different ISP's broadband offering.

E.g. we have NTL broadband but the 4 of us in the family have a range of different ISPs for email; Hotmail, Yahoo, etc, etc.

Enabling 2 PCs to share one broadband internet channel has already been covered by the others.

Hope that helps.

shellship 14:56 08 Feb 05

Just to confirm what has been said. My wife and I have separate computers, with a wireless router, broadband is from Entanet but we have kept our separate email addresses with our original ISP(s).

FelixTCat 15:25 08 Feb 05

Normally you will lose your email account when you cancel your contract with your ISP, unless you were on a pay-as-you-go dial-up arrangement. With some ISPs you can change to a pay-as-you-go and keep the email address. Then, when you change to broadband you can still access your old mail accounts.

Another option is to take out a free account with bigfoot.com Use this as the incoming mail account and redirect the mail to your current ISP email account. If you change ISPs, you simply change the redirection in bigfoot and don't have to tell all your contacts of your new email adress.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:06 08 Feb 05

You can use the same BB account on seperate computers either by using the same modem or buying another modem and connecting the 2nd computer up to your BB account. You can of course enable both PCs to share BB by wireless.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…