Broadband is 'always on' even when on the desktop?

CurlyWhirly 20:47 26 Nov 04

My ISP is AOL and when I go online I use their client software where I have to log-in.
My sister has recently upgraded to broadband (she is with BT broadband) and I observed that her anti-virus software updated while still on the Windows Desktop i.e. there was NO browser window or windows open on her desktop.

What I saw was the virus update icon on the taskbar and after the update was downloaded a message popped up saying that a "Web update had been installed"!
This doesn't happen with AOL and I was wondering whether this is normal?

CurlyWhirly 20:49 26 Nov 04

p.s. She wasn't online as there were NO browser windows minimized on the taskbar.

Graham ® 20:53 26 Nov 04

The short answer is that broadband is always on, but you're not always connected to it.

It may be that AOL requires its browser (using IE) to set up the connection first.

User-312386 20:53 26 Nov 04

I am with telewest and there is no software whatsoever, as soon as you turn the computer on you are connected with NO sofware.

It could be with BT that it starts at "startup"

Have a look in the startup folder

Graham ® 20:58 26 Nov 04

Another thought, if the PC had just booted, it could have been a previous update that was waiting for a restart to install.

CurlyWhirly 21:00 26 Nov 04

One final query please.
She has a BT router and I think she has an Ethernet connection so could this be the reason?
On my PC I can disable my USB ADSL modem by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware' icon on the taskbar.

When I do this on my machine I get the option to STOP the device but when I try this on my sister's PC nothing comes up!
As you know there are times when you NEED to disable your anti-virus software and I am wondering HOW you can do this safely as disabling it while on the desktop could leave you vulnerable to viruses!
I am, of course, talking about Ethernet connectons not USB modems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 26 Nov 04

Ethernet does not require a connection window as with an ADSL conection.

As soon as the opsystem has booted ou are connected.

CurlyWhirly 21:07 26 Nov 04

Thanks for that. That part of my query is answered but I would still like to know is there a way to disable the Ethernet connection through Windows or is the ONLY way to pull the relevant cable out?
Just curious as in the future I may upgrade to Ethernet as I have read that it offers a more stable connection.

Technotiger 21:14 26 Nov 04

Hi, I have a Ethernet ADSL Modem connected to a pci ethernet board. The modem has separate power supply in switched wall socket. I have xp Home/BT broadband. I can have the modem switch on or off at will, when on, I have instant internet access. It is on most of the time. Very stable. :-))

CurlyWhirly 21:17 26 Nov 04

Thanks. Resolved now.
I am not sure HOW Ethernet works and I didn't really take much notice of my sisters cable layout while I was there!

Technotiger 21:18 26 Nov 04

btw - my modem is the BIPAC-5100S by Billion see click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…