Broadband Always On? Can it switched off and on?

jbp1982 20:26 21 Mar 05

Hi I'm just wondering the news and media says about broadband being more vulnerable than dial up and adsl, because your always connected.

How do you stop a broadband connection without pulling the plug physically? Can it be done?

stalion 20:29 21 Mar 05

just disconnect your modem when you are not on line

Technotiger 20:37 21 Mar 05

Hi, don't believe everything you hear - dial-up is far more vulnerable to dialler attacks which can put hundreds on your telephone bills. This can't happen with broadband.
I think you will find that most broadband users are 'on' all the time.

Technotiger 20:39 21 Mar 05

ps - provided you have adequate protection i.e. Firewall/Anti-virus/Ad-Aware broadband beats dial-up anyday.

TomJerry 20:39 21 Mar 05

just press the button when you do not want to on-line

ade.h 20:42 21 Mar 05

Right-click your DSL icon in the sys tray.

PA28 20:56 21 Mar 05

Don't worry - I used to as well but if you've a good firewall and antivirus there's no problems. Both can be got for nowt - I use AVG free (updated every week which is a doddle with BB) and Zonealarm as well as having XP's firewall enabled. You won't look back.

Jak_1 21:09 21 Mar 05

I'm, connected 24/7 with no problem on adsl BB, usual protection : ZoneAlarn firewall, AVG Antivirus, AdAware, Spybot, CWShredder and Regprot.

As Has been stated no probs on BB with those nasty diallers as they can not affect you. I don't see the point in going ofline but no problem if you want to. Just flick the switch so to speak. You will do no harm and then switch it on when you want to go back online again.

Audeal 21:15 21 Mar 05

PA28. I thought having two Firewalls running at the same time was not recomended,eg. Xp's Firewall and Zonealarm.

g0nvs 21:18 21 Mar 05

Install Zone Alarm , engage Internet lock. Job done !

ralph-226856 21:22 21 Mar 05

To jbp 1982, My broadband displays an icon on the desktop and one in the sys' tray. I double click the desktop icon, then the connect box which pops up, to make a connection. When I've finished surfing I double click the icon again then click on the disconnect box.

I know a firewall and anti-virus program should stop anything getting onto your PC,but I've been caught out in the past when stuff has managed to get past and then disable any protection on my PC, so I don't take any chances now and always disconnect my broadband after I've finished surfing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…