broadband advice and networking for 1 st timer

perthh2002 00:21 05 May 03

I have resently got a new pc with win/XP 10/100 ethernetand asdl bb router and i want to get braodband when it comes to my area at end of may.
i would like to know if i can buy a wireless network kit to connect both my new pc and my childrens win/98 system so we can both share bb and use the phone eta.
i have seen the main box router + the reciever for the wireless usb client box for about £125.00 is there any other thing i need for this to work.
do you have any suggested sites for this equipment
and last will it work with my childrens old win/98 system or do i have to buy other equipment for it to work

I would like to say thanks in advance for any help now as you all have more experiance than me 47 year old.

hugh-265156 01:06 05 May 03
  Ivor_Monkey 06:30 05 May 03

You can do what you want. The wireless option is more expensive compared with a simple network cable, which runs from pc to router.
Make sure that you have a firewall (sysgate is fine).
A pc mag run a large feature on wireless networking recently. Sorry can't recall, possibly (pc pro?).

howard60 06:32 05 May 03

I have ntl broadband and 2 pcs networked with a crossover cat 5 cable this works very well. The main pc that connects to the ntl is using xp and I ran the network wizard which set up ics [internet connection sharing]. I then let it make the floppy cd which set everything up on the 2nd. pc. It sometimes can be a pain to get going but once it is it works well.

howard60 06:34 05 May 03

should have said the floppy disk not floppy cd. With a router you do not need a crossover cable but straight cat 5 or wireless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…