Broadband Advice

J B 20:28 10 Jun 05

I finally broke down and ordered broadband today and need some advice. I plan to use the the extension in the backroom as thats where my laptop is located. Would I need to install the filters in both phone sockets or would the extension do? I have sky installed in the main phone socket so if I had to install another filter there would it make any difference? One final thing as I have an internal modem is there anything special I would have to do or is it as they say plug it in and go? Last, do I disconnect the modem when when I finish at the end of the session so as to miniumize outside threats or not. I have NAV,MS antispyware, Spybot 1.4, Adaware se 1.06, and spywareblaster. J.B.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 10 Jun 05

1 filter in lead to phone, 1 filter on end of extension to broad band modem.

Internal BB modem? or internal dial up modem?

BB modems usually external USB connected, if so install sotftware BEFORE plugging in moden to USB port.

I tend to disconnect when finished online stops waste of bandwidth if nothing else.

CurlyWhirly 23:00 10 Jun 05

You will need a filter in EVERY socket including the Sky box. Cheers.

Stuartli 23:43 10 Jun 05

If your phone system from the Master Socket goes from the front of the socket rather than the rear, to all extensions, then you can get away with one splitter.

Otherwise you will probably have to have a splitter on all phones, fax machines etc.

My two phone extensions are from the rear of the Master Socket so I need a splitter on both - however the main cordless phone, answering machine and system dialup modem are served by one splitter, two telephone adapters being used to served them from the one splitter (one adapter is used for the modem and the other outlet, via a short telephone extension, for the cordless phone and answering machine; a second adapter is used at the end of the extension serves the phone and answering machine).

Sounds complicated but simple once you grasp the principle.

Stuartli 23:44 10 Jun 05

I would have thought you could have used your laptop in any convenient location...:-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…