Broadband ADSL Microfilters

Gary 09:51 13 May 03

I am looking at getting broadband at home. I have three telephone sockets in my house. Two of them have phones connected to them and the other has my current dial up modem connected. I am thinking of getting a self install broadband package. If I do, two of the sockets will still have phones attached to them but the modem on the third socket will be replaced by the ADSL modem. In that case, I know I will need microfilters on the sockets with phones connected - but will I need a microfilter in the socket to which I am going to connect the ADSL modem or can I just plug the modem straight into the socket (like I do with the telephones now)?

Yoshtar 10:52 13 May 03

I quite sure you'll need a microfilter on EACH socket that you'll be using, be it for ADSL or voice.

I may be wrong but i had all sorts of problems with voice/data sockets so i just whacked a filter on each socket and it all worked faultlessly.

Yoshtar 10:53 13 May 03

But you can always check out click here for a lot more info on ADSL / Broadband stuff.

soy 10:55 13 May 03

You will need microfilters in all three sockets.

You will find that the Broadband modem needs an RJ-11 socket which the normal telephone socket doesn't have. You will need to plug the filter in the telephone socket and plug the modem into the RJ-11 port in the filter.

The other reason you can't just plug a modem into a telephone socket (if you do manage to do it without the filter) is that you need the filter to separate the telephone line into a normal telephone channel and adsl channel to be used properly.

Hope you understand what i'm saying.

matthew-293741 11:04 13 May 03

totally agree with the above....you will need a filter for each socket....there is something else to consider though...if you are going to get the BT Broadband package (which i have) you only recieve two filters in their standard pack, youwill have to purchase an additional filter for the other phone socket.....to be honest, the only reason you have a filter on your phone point is because you may lose quality on your incoming/outgoing calls....i must admit i didnt notice the difference, but to be on the safe side......iuf you contact bt on there website...i think its btinternet/bbhelp.co .uk or something you can order extra filters!!!

hope this helps!!

Yoshtar 11:17 13 May 03

Also Solwise sell Microfilters (which is where i got mine from) come highly recommended. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…