broadband access

dinnis 14:22 23 May 03

I have just upgraded to broadband using a "free" tiscali modem. At home we have a PC in my wife's office adjacent to the telephone socket.I have a laptop with which I would like to access the broadband connection. As I am a doctor and patient confidentiality is an issue I do not whish to network and share files. What I think I need is a router with one wired output to my wife's pc and a wireless facility and card to enable laptop access. PC world tell me there is no such device. At present I have to crawl under the desk to plug the laptop in and connect via my usb and a wire.

fitshase 14:32 23 May 03

PC World are wrong. I am using the product that they say does not exist! It is a Netgear FM114P wireless router with print server (click here). I bought mine from click here.

I have a desktop wired to it, the broadband modem wired to it and a laptop with a wireless card attached to it.

There is a setting on the router's software that allows a wireless connection to the internet but not to any network. This would be useful as you can use the internet but no-one can access the laptop's files (and you'll not be able to access anything on your wife's office PC from the laptop).

Also, as long as you don't share any files or folders, then there will be no access to them from the network.

The model I have also has a built in print server so I have a printer connected to it and I can print from any wireless/network machine without having to have the desktop nearest the printer switched on.

Negear/Dabs have a model without the print server function at a lower cost if you do not need that function.

Hope this helps

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…