broadband

eccomputers 23:35 08 Jan 03
  eccomputers 23:35 08 Jan 03

I've been with btanytime now for about a year and inquired about upgrading to broadband. Sadly they say that I am too far away from my local exchange. I am thinking about ntl as I hear they are faster anyways 600 and not 512.
I presume I just need a phone line installed by them as I dont want all their digital tv stuff.
Am I correct in assuming this?.

1st RHA 23:39 08 Jan 03

Try checking through their site click here

graham 23:40 08 Jan 03

cable going past your house!

Tim1964 23:42 08 Jan 03

eccomputers

As NTL BB uses the fibre optic cable you will only need the set top box (and cable to the house) installed. They are hoping of course that you will decide later have the TV packages as well. You can still keep your BT phone if you want but you can keep your phone no. if you swap.

WaTcHiNg 01:01 09 Jan 03

You'd may as well take the phone as well cos their packages are cheaper than BTs. Tech support sucks but thankfully the service is good so I hardly ever 'phone them.

Andsome 08:13 09 Jan 03

NTL broadband has nothing to do with the telephone line. It runs from a fibre optic cable. In my area this cable is connected in parralel with the TV cable, from the junction box on the outside wall. The phone line is on a separate fibre optic cable. In other areas the cable for the broadband connection runs from the set top TV box. It just depends on the franchise. NTL bought up several different companies, this is why areas differ. You may just as well go the full NTL route. The telephone is cheaper than BT, and the TV is very cheap. We have in the region of a hundred TV and digital radio stations for about £26 per month including the phone rental. Cheaper packages are availably. Broadband is very much cheaper than BT.

kjrider 12:04 09 Jan 03

I am using the slow 128 NTL Broadband, as it only costs £14.99 per month (Or its £24.99 for the 512)

The set top box is £19.99 for the basic TV package, but you do get telephone line rental free.

No probs, NTL helpline when phoned had been good.

Keith.

kchakrak 12:10 09 Jan 03

i dont know about a new phone line, but i know that NTL are goin bust after the digital fiasco.

Go with Mailbox or tiscali, im with BT but i know their 2 Excellent companies with good customer survey reports.

Eagle Eyed Cherry 12:28 09 Jan 03

"i dont know about a new phone line, but i know that NTL are goin bust after the digital fiasco. "

I think you will find NTL will be around for many years to come. They are indeed in debt, and are currently being pursued by Morgan Stanley:
click here
They will of course weather this storm, and continue to find some solace from there debts in pushing Broadband.
With regards to the original question

"I presume I just need a phone line installed by them as I dont want all their digital tv stuff. Am I correct in assuming this?. "

No, your area needs to be within an NTL franchise check here -click here
if not then you can wave goodbye to that idea. Also check if your in a Telewest area !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…