broadband

coola 13:19 PM 22 Jan 12

i'm having a problem with other people using my broadband (wireless) and they are eating into my broadband usage (option 1 bt broadband). 1: how can i stop this ? 2: i want to let my son use his ipad wirelessly ? another question ,is i have a stora network system ,it is plugged into my pc upstairs and my tv downstairs,would i be right in thinking that when it is switched "on" it starts to use up my broadband usage? my hub is a "bt home hub 1.5" any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

sharpamat 14:30 PM 22 Jan 12

hard to answer without more information.What make you think others are usein your WI FI connection. Also was this set up as per BT instructions If you wish to use ipad wirelessly just plug it into your Hib via an ethernet cable its not listed as to how much of your broadband allowance is used by your stora, However if its connected it will use part of your allowance, as will your TV espically if you are streaming videos. BT hub 1.5 is well dated they are on 3 now however your hub may give a better idea of what and how you are useing in

mgmcc 14:31 PM 22 Jan 12

"I'm having a problem with other people using my broadband (wireless) and they are eating into my broadband usage"

A wireless network should always be encrypted using WPA or, preferably, WPA2 to prevent "unwanted guests" from piggy-backing on your broadband connection.

"I want to let my son use his ipad wirelessly"

Anyone to whom you give the wireless "encryption key" can connect to the router wirelessly.

"I have a stora network system ,it is plugged into my pc upstairs and my tv downstairs,would i be right in thinking that when it is switched "on" it starts to use up my broadband usage?"

Any devices in your Local Area Network need to be able to access the router but it is only those accessing the internet that will use up your internet allowance. However, as your wireless bandwidth is shared by all of the devices using it, the more you connect the slower it will become. Wired connections, however, all have the full speed of the network switch available - 100Mbps or, if Gigabit, 1000Mbps.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites