broadband

tonymcdonn 16:47 10 Jun 10

Last summer, while shopping in a supermarket,with my daughter, we saw a representative for Talktalk advertising free broadband. My daughter wanted to go on Talktalk because I have been with them for a couple of years and have been satisfied with the service. The rep said she would get the package with free broadband and so she signed up for an eighteen month contract. She was connected to the phone with no problem but could not get the free broadband as it was not in her area yet. Since then we have found out that close neighbours have been able to get it, but when my daughter asked again about it she was told she could not have the free one because there is no LLU in her area and that they would put her on the short list, but she is still waiting after twelve months. We feel as if we have been mislead by the Talktalk rep as she would not have signed up for eighteem months without the free broadband, as it was this that attracted her to the offer in the first place. Is there anything we can do to cancel this contract as it was with one of their representatives? We would be grateful for any help. Many thanks.

howard64 17:01 10 Jun 10

this seems to be a case of breach of contract and you should have no problem getting out of it. I am really surprised that you cannot have tt broadband. When I signed up with them I got the bb immediately although it was about 8 months before they unbundled the line but that made no difference to what I was receiving. Did they offer a paid for bb until the unbundling happened? then free once the exchange was altered.

woodchip 17:02 10 Jun 10

She can get her money back as she was sold something that did not exist

woodchip 17:04 10 Jun 10

PS I am with TalkTalk no problems. but if you do not get any satisfaction from TT go to Trading standards

Pineman100 18:04 10 Jun 10

I agree with Woodchip.

If Talk Talk have broken the contract (and I presume you have studied it to ensure that there's no small print loophole that they can wriggle through?), then you only need to inform them of this fact and give them notice that you are terminating the agreement. Then stop paying them.

If you need help with the wording of the contract, go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Poitier 19:55 10 Jun 10

Hi,
It seems like another case of a salesman making a sale to get comission. I think that before you take the matter any further you will need to make a formal complaint through the Talk Talk complaints proceedure and await their reply. You could also ask customer services for the address of head office and explain to them. I was missold a contract and did that but was able to cancel in the prescribed time.

natdoor 21:30 10 Jun 10

You say that near neighbours have free broadband. This means that they have LLU on their exchange. Is your daughter on a different exchange? You can check whether or not there is LLU on her exchange on the Samknows website click here. If LLU is not available, then it would appear that the product was mis-sold and the additional payments for broadband should be claimed back.

I was paying the extra £10 per month when I discovered that my exchange had had LLU for some time. It appeared that new customers were getting preference for the reconnection, which has to be done by BT engineers. I asked when I would be transferred and was given three dates which came and went with no action or contact from TalkTalk. So I contacted Charles Dunstone's office and then received prompt attention and excellent service, including a refund for the period I had been waiting.

tonymcdonn 08:03 11 Jun 10

Thank you all for your replies. Natdoor, could you please tell me how I can contact George Dunstone's Office so I might carry this further. Many thanks.

natdoor 13:09 11 Jun 10

Firstly, I would check the availability of LLU on your exchange. If it is available and has been for some time, you have a clear case to put. If it is not available yet, your case depends on what was said by the agent when the contract was taken out. This may become a case of one person's word against another's.

I e-mailed Charles Dunstone, if I remember correctly, although others have written letters and I might have done so. I was assigned a contact person who organised rapid transfer of my line to LLU and phoned every day to update me on progress and to check that the new modem was functioning after switchover.

I was encouraged to do this by following threads such as /click here (check a post on page 2 of the thread from ened)or click here from TopCat. Note that two different e-mail addresses are listed. I cannot guarantee that either was correct and is still valid.

Good luck!

tonymcdonn 18:42 11 Jun 10

Thank you so much will e-mail him.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…