Broadband at 28.8 Kbps?

oldseadog 22:41 07 Aug 05

I have a new computer. Spec. Intel Pentium 4 3.6 GHz, 1024 MB DDR400, 500GB HD.
Any ideas why when I connect to my Broadband connection it displays a speed of 28.8Kbps when in fact it should be 512? It’s more of an annoyance than a problem but it would be nice to see the correct speed displayed.

DieSse 23:52 07 Aug 05

"it displays a speed of 28.8Kbps"

Where?

LastChip 23:54 07 Aug 05

The speed you are quoting suggests you are connecting via dial-up rather than broadband.

oldseadog 09:19 08 Aug 05

Thanks DieSse, the message comes up when I connect to my Broadband it reads "ADSL PPP is now connected Speed 28.8Kbps.

oldseadog 09:33 08 Aug 05

Thanks LastChip, I did check to make sure I wasn't using my Dial-up. In fact I just did a speed check through "ADSLguide Rate Your ISP" and it came up with the astonishing speeds of Downstream 1876Kbps and Upstream 242Kbps.
As I have already said it isn't a problem but I can't figure out why my Computer should display what one would expect from a Dial-up connection.

Jackcoms 14:30 08 Aug 05

You still haven't told us where this message comes up.

What exactly is displaying it?

In fact, if you are using BB, the speeds reported by "ADSLguide Rate Your ISP" are excellent speeds for a 2mb connection.

Do you actually know what sort/what speed of connection you are subscribing to?

oldseadog 18:49 08 Aug 05

Hi JACKCOMS; when connecting to my BB a balloon type message which points to the two TV monitor Icons on the right of my Task Bar state that I am connected at 28.8Kbps. Furthermore when looking in Task Manager under the Networking tab it too states a speed of 28.8Kbps.

I originally subscribed to a 512Kbps connection, but I guess my ISP has upgraded me to 2mb. It literally has just happened and a no extra cost!!

Jackcoms 20:34 08 Aug 05

Did you previously have a dial-up connection available?

If so, delete it. The network connection may still be trying to report details of the dial-up modem/connection.

And is your dial-up modem still connected to the telephone socket? If so, unplug it.

oldseadog 23:04 08 Aug 05

I've deleted my dial-up connection which was only setup as an emergency and in fact was never used on this computer. The dial-up modem is not connected to the telephone socket, but alas the 28.8Kbps still shows even after re-booting! There must be a glitch or something on this computer and I guess I'm going to have to learn to live with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now