//some 3rd party need geo

Broadband with 2 modems

Fateful Shadow 21:29 19 Feb 05

My brother gave me 2 BT Internet broadband modems a while ago, and seeing as Broadband is coming ever closer to where I live I got thinking about how we would connect.

As there are 2 computers in the house, can they have a modem each and still connect at the same time? Will this mean 2 bills? Also, seeing as they are from BT Internet, will I have to join up with them, or am I free to choose whichever ISP I like?

FelixTCat 21:46 19 Feb 05

You can only have one ADSL set up on a single phone line, so you can only use one modem. You can run more than one computer off a modem, though if you use a USB modem you have to have one computer as a host and connect all the others through it.

As far as I know you can use any ISP - the modems are not locked to BT.

Graham ® 21:46 19 Feb 05

A modem is a modem, not tied to an ISP.

You could use a modem on each PC, but do not connect them both at the same time. The exchange would see this as a fault and would down the broadband.

VoG II 21:49 19 Feb 05

You would be better off with one modem and a wireless (or wired if you like tripping over) network via a router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…