Broadband On 2 Computers...

TheShoopShoopSong 17:38 09 Jan 03
  TheShoopShoopSong 17:38 09 Jan 03

Braodband seems to be a certains possibility in the near future for me and i was considering AOL because I am with them at the moment and I can get a free modem and installation and connection. I know that AOL dont oficially support networking, but if i was to have the connection on two computers, which is the best way to do it? Shared internet connection from my main computer or using a router?

Elrond 17:45 09 Jan 03

I would say a router is probably best, but wit for others more experienced.

Pilch.... 17:46 09 Jan 03

on how you want it set up....

If you want to have independant access to the net, eg laptop and desk top, and you want teh laptop on net but not desk top, router is way to go. Otherwise if you dont mind both being on, you can get away with ICS.

At the moment, quite a few companies are dropiing teh connection charge, leaving you to pay for modem which you can get for £30 off somewhere like ebuyer so you just sign up and go...

TheShoopShoopSong 17:49 09 Jan 03

If I was to choose to use a router as opposed to shared internet connection, i know that i will be able to establish a network as the 2 computers are liked, but if i was to use a router, will the network differ in anyway? would be advisable to get a switch?

jazzypop 19:24 09 Jan 03

A router is basically a combined modem and switch.

With a router

Telephone point --> router --> network adaptor on PC1, PC2, etc

or with ICS

Telephone point --> modem on PC1 --> (internally) --> network adaptor PC1 --> network adaptor PC2

Let's hope this still looks something like it does now, after it is posted :)

zipdrive 19:36 09 Jan 03

I recently set up a Ad-Hoc wireless LAN so my son could access the internet from my Broadband connection. On the whole its been very successful. My main problem was configuring the firewall Zone Alarm.

Psiman 19:47 09 Jan 03

Agree with jazzypop's post. I would install a router for the the best option. The only thing I would add is that a router carries its own inherent NAT firewall so you don't need to run a separate firewall on each computer on your network.

TheShoopShoopSong 19:56 09 Jan 03

Thank you for all your respoinses but the issue of bb is still bugging me. Iwas thinking about going with AOL but many say taht its not a good ideas as they dont oficially support networking because they have their own software/browser and internet protocal. Is there anyway i can reconfigure this so taht i can use a network?

Psiman 20:02 09 Jan 03

If you use a router then you are downstream (usually)of AOL or any other ISP. They are unaware if you are using a router or an ASDL modem so doesn't matter. Someone will soon correct me if I am wrong.

Timeforabeer 20:24 09 Jan 03

Hi..

I connected 3 pc's with this router click here

It was very easy to set up (nearly everything is default) and was up and running within 5 mins. All pc's receive BB and are networked together. This is a 4 port router though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…