broadband on 2 computers

eccy92 18:04 22 Oct 05

Hi I have tiscali broadband and i am running windows xp. I have second computer, monitor and modem also running windows xp which I set up when my nephew and niece come over please could you advise me if it is possible to set the two computers up so they can both serve the internet at the same time so I can avoid the arguments.
I would be grateful for any advise on how to set it up and what hardware I would need thanks David

wallbash 18:16 22 Oct 05

You need a simple network system !

Buy a router ( many will give advice) go for a cheap well known name. I like netgear. Most now go for wireless. Follow directions on box . Any problems post back here ( or better still in the Network forum. )

No question is too simple

Computerdope 18:37 22 Oct 05

X over is the simplest and cheapest way

Computerdope 18:38 22 Oct 05

X over cable.

woodchip 18:43 22 Oct 05

You do NOT need to Network. All you need is a Wireless Router Modem and USB wireless connectors for the Modem Router. If you already Have Ethernet ports in computer you will only need strait Ethernet wires to connect. The Modem may be already supplied with one

wallbash 18:53 22 Oct 05

Definition of the word Network

A way of connecting 2 or more computers( and/or printers)so they can share data

x over cable is simple and cheap

But a router is still worth looking at

woodchip 19:03 22 Oct 05

You do not need to share Data with the computers that are just connecting to the BB. As I have three not Networked. only connected to the "Internet, If you class that as Network". Which it is but not in the sense of networking computers. Them not in the know get terrified and are put of by the word NETWORK

eccy92 19:03 22 Oct 05

Sorry if I sound dim but what is a x over cable and where can I get one thanks

VoG II 19:06 22 Oct 05

I agree with woodchip - you need a wireless router, nor a cross-over cable. Unless you really want wires trailing all over the place.

woodchip 19:09 22 Oct 05

This is mine but I also got a Wireless 3Com Card for laptop as well click here

wallbash 19:17 22 Oct 05

I put the word Simple ( before Network) in my orig posting.

Also my vote was for a router ( although I have no problems with a wired system )

Also a shared (Data) system !!! would be far more Fun for the kids ?

PS I have 2 kids ( plus a wife) four computers ALL networked with a wired system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced