Broadband - 2 accounts on one line?

Robert-278818 10:28 04 Oct 03

I have BT broadband in my office, and AOL broadband at home, both in different towns and exchanges. Forgive my ignorance but in theory should I be able to set up a connection at home to utilise the BT connection using my work user and password etc? Thanks for any advice
Robert

johnnyrocker 10:30 04 Oct 03

i would think you would have no problem providing you have a static ip at both ends but with both companies i would think this unlikely.

cheers.

johnny.

graham√ 12:36 04 Oct 03

Never come across this one before! You said 'in theory' so all things are possible.

I think you would have to set up a third account and configure the PC so you can choose which one to use at home.

I cannot see any advantage in so doing, as Broadband is not metered. If working from home is the reason you ask, and your employer is to provide the service, simply cancel your own. If there is a penalty for this, come to some arrangement with the boss.

If you ARE the boss, you can please yourself!

Sir Radfordin 13:01 04 Oct 03

If you have an enabled line it is likely you will be able to connect on using any valid account details. You don't dial a number just use a 'username'. There are various test logins available that work on all connections so there is no reason why the theory won't work for others. Can't try it but I'm sure you can! Let us know what happens.

One point to note, if you do have ADSL in one location at the moment you can't just plug in that modem and connect somewhere else you will need another ADSL enable line. The only way I know of doing that is via an ISP so you wouldn't actually be able to save any money.

Robert-278818 23:29 04 Oct 03

thanks for the responses - i'll try and set it up and see what happens!
Robert

Jester2K II 23:32 04 Oct 03

Also don't the ISPs verify the account user by checking the number you dialled from? Hence an ADSL account set up for one phone number can't be dialled out on another line?

DieSse 23:33 04 Oct 03

No you definately can't - and there is no need for you to do so. ADSL accounts are allocated to your number and "belong" to the ISP who will be charging you, allocating your IP etc etc.

But why would you need to - there is nothing you can't do on the connection you already have is there?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…