Broadband 1gb monthly allowance

hssutton 00:14 21 May 04

I have been looking at the various broadband packages available. My ISP has a cheap £14.99 package of 1Gb monthly allowance, but I am unable to relate this to my internet usage. The question is what could one do with a 1Gb allowance, is it worth while?

Smegs 00:28 21 May 04

I think thats only for downloads. If you do a lot of downloading, then it's not worth it. There are download meters to download to monitor your downloads. Do a Google seach for them.

Djohn 00:33 21 May 04

I think Smegs is correct on the download bit but remember e-mail and attachments will come into this as well. I'm not sure but think general surfing is not counted. j.

Smegs 00:34 21 May 04

Djohn, I'm glad you put that in. I never even thought of the Emails.

hssutton 00:41 21 May 04

Thanks guys. I can relate to the download part, as I don't do a great deal this would not be a problem. However I do a great deal of uploading to photographic forums and my online albums, so if the 1Gb does not come into this part of the equation and I can browse at will this package may be satisfactory.

Djohn 00:53 21 May 04

Not sure again about this but have a feeling that uploading may also come into your allowance as you are using bandwidth. Best to give the ISP your thinking of a quick phone call to customer service and double check.

hugh-265156 00:55 21 May 04

who is the isp?

most isp`s have a 1 gig limit cap per DAY not per month.

isp review is a good site for finding out info click here

check the upload speeds for the isp as most have a lower upload speed than download.for example im with NTL on the 600k service at £24.99 mth and although my download speed is good at 600k my upload is only 128k,not good if i was uploading a lot of stuff to a website etc.

hssutton 09:00 21 May 04

Huggy71 the ISP is Plusnet and this is their basic broadband package, guess I will go for the £24,99 package which is similar NTLs.

Thanks for all the help

TBH1 12:18 21 May 04

I think every thing will count towards the 1gb; emails, surfing, uploading, downloading - - -wanadoo have a chart out right now which gives you an approximation what you can do, thier limited account is 2gb and it lists what you can do for that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…