Broadband

trickydicky 20:45 12 Jun 04

will it be possible to use a broadband modem on a Pentium 3 667Mhz, 128Mb RAM, Win Me system or will I have to have something faster

pc mad 20:54 12 Jun 04

hi i when over to broadband a few years ago i had a pentium 300mhz,which was the minimum requirement, 96 mbs ram and running me, so you should be ok, that was with telewest ,not sure about other companies though,

tasslehoff burrfoot 20:58 12 Jun 04

That system should be fine, I wuldn't expect you to hae any problems with BB.

However, ISPs do state minimum specs for their service and, whilst you can run BB on a lesser system, be aware that if you need to call the helpline for any reason and tell them your specs they may refuse to help you.

I have a friend who was in this situation and was told that, as his system was below the minimum spec they couldn't help him. He called back, spoke to someone else and told a few fibs about his system and they sorted the problem.

snowy30 21:33 12 Jun 04

It won't be a problem, I just went over to broadband now with ntl and I have a 300Mhz comp with 96 RAM and Win98 first edition OS.

Mind-Meld 22:25 12 Jun 04

I've got a Pentium III 500 MHz pc and I am using a 1.5Mb broadband connection from Telewest. I initially had 128 Ram but found an upgrade to 256 Ram really helped. I regularly do a speed test at the following site:

click here

and do not have any problems with the broadband speed.

ps do not expect to get the maximum 'advertised' speed it is always a bit slower than this eg a 1Mb broadband is typically 900-950 Kb (ie 0.9-0.95Mb)

Andrewsfield485 22:52 12 Jun 04

I've got a pentium 3 1Ghz running broadband across a wireless network (i.e this one is not the base) and it works perfectly.

canard 23:01 12 Jun 04

I first had BB on Pentium 3 with 128mbram and it wa/stillis fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…