ConfusedAgain 19:07 18 Sep 03

Am I right in thinking that if I connect two computers to broadband - without networking - I need two modems and two filters. I have no cause to network. At the moment both computers are connected to the telephone line but obviously cannot be used at the same time. The same would apply with broadband.

Toad_7787 19:30 18 Sep 03

I've got the same set up at home. I networked my machines with a crossover network cable so as long as the most used computer is switched on, both machines have internet access. I never use the networking bit, but that was the cheapest option for getting both online - total cost about £25 and 10 mins setting up the network.

But if you didnt want to/couldnt be bothered, you'd probably still need a hub of sorts if you wanted both to be on-line at once.

I'm sure someone in here will know how...

graham√ 19:32 18 Sep 03

Connect one broadband modem to the phone line, and whichever computer you wish to use to the modem. Filters are used for phones, faxes, etc.

PSF 19:33 18 Sep 03

Yes you would need two modems.
With cable modems you can only have one per household I am not sure about the BT ones.

Your best bet is to use a Router and then both pc's can be connected and used at the same time.

graham√ 20:40 18 Sep 03

Listen. Do not connect two modems to the phone line. The exchange will see two modems as a fault and will disable the service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…