Broadband

Les 14:34 24 Aug 03

I'm not sure whether this is the place for this but after a long time waiting for BT to enable the local exchange for broadband they have announced that this will take place in December, hopefully this year!

Apart from the speed difference I wonder, is having broadband really worth it the extra dosh?

The good points are obvious but what are the snags, does always on mean it is actually 'live' to be accessed from the net at all times when the computer is on - or is it actually software enabled.

Les

-pops- 14:39 24 Aug 03

Most definitely worth it. It's like changing from a steam roller to Concorde. This alone makes it worthwhile.

Whether it's on or not is up to you. It's normal though to have it connected all the time the computer is on.

Had broadband for three years. Not found one solitary snag with it.

Brian

-pops- 14:42 24 Aug 03

Psssssst! Don't let your neighbour know about it!!

Thetford Brian 14:57 24 Aug 03

Broadband not only gives faster access, but you have the equivalent of another telephone line.
(People can actually get through to your telephone line whilst you are surfing).

There's no way I could go back to the 'old fashioned dial up' after experiencing broadband!!

anchor 15:02 24 Aug 03

Yes it IS worth it.

I was paying about £16 a month for BT Anytime, now £23 odd monthly for ADSL with Pipex.

You are only connected to the web when you want to be; by clicking connect. You have the equivalent of 2 phone lines, one exclusively for the internet, the other for voice, (or fax), calls. The speed difference speaks for itself; average download speed used to be about 4.7K, now 48k. I would certainly recommend a firewall; a good free one is Zone Alarm Free:

click here

I am sure that already have an effective antivirus programme.

The Sack 15:16 24 Aug 03

It is a shock the first time the phones rings and you are online.

Peverelli 15:17 24 Aug 03

I have an external modem which can be turned off when I don't need it. It is costing me £10 a month more than dial-up did - which works out at about 33p a day. Definitely worth it if you're online a fair bit. Much more convenient too.

Dek 15:32 24 Aug 03

Anchor recommends Pipex..Thanks for the info.
-pop- who are you with ?

Sorry for the intervention Les but I was about to ask.What Broadband server was generally recommended

-pops- 16:15 24 Aug 03

I'm with BT. They were the only ones supplying when I got my BB (in this area anyway). I've had good service from them and even though I might find someone a few pence cheaper, I really can't be troubled to do that - I've just changed my gas supplier and that has caused loads of problems!

Djohn 17:00 24 Aug 03

Agree with all said above. I spend a lot of time on-line, 12 to 16 hours per day! I could do this with my AOL account because they do not have a cut off period, but of course my land line was constantly engaged.

I do a lot of BETA testing for them, this sometimes entailed 2 or 3 complete downloads in a week, 3 hours, longer if the connection was slow :o( I downloaded the new Thialand version last week and instead of the usual 3 hours, or longer, 14 minutes! :o)

anchor 17:07 24 Aug 03

I have been with Pipex since March last year. I have to report that I have been very satisfied. Good speeds and no problems. Cheaper than BT too; (not by just a few pence); about £78 a year less!.

They even the won the "Best Consumer Broadband Provider" earlier this year.

click here

Pipex info: here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…