broad band speed help

patso 13:31 22 May 06

how can i test the speed i am getting for downloads from my bb.i have a wireless bb called ripwave connected to my lan card.it is supposed to be a half meg.when i am downloading music i only seem to be getting 4kbs per track.at max i have got 25kbs.on the task bar it says lan connected at 10mbs.any help please

rawprawn 13:34 22 May 06
  anskyber 13:48 22 May 06
  anchor 13:59 22 May 06

Two UK based tests:

click here

click here

ACOLYTE 14:07 22 May 06

These test sites i don't know about you but every time i run them i get different results,i have tried the same site more than once,different sites one after the other and every time the speed is different,i am coming to the conclusion that these tests are not that accurate
so shouldn't be taken literally on the speeds they say.

Stuartli 14:20 22 May 06

The speeds will always be different - it's the average with which you are concerned.

Speed depends on several factors at any given time including the current number of users within your contention rate (normally 50:1), server traffic, line quality etc.

Try running a test on the same speed test in the early evening when everyone has arrived home and using the internet and then around 3am in the morning...:-)

patso 19:57 23 May 06

thanks for the links and help.i ran speedtester and it shows 296.7 kbps downstream and p1.2 upstream.is this close to the half meg my provider says they are giving.thanks patso

Fred the flour grader 20:56 23 May 06

mark

Dipso 20:59 23 May 06

That's not that great, I used to get more like 460-470 on half meg.

Stuartli 21:09 23 May 06

>>296.7 kbps downstream>>

That's about 2.2-2.3MB, probably the current fastest speed of your line.

patso 21:12 23 May 06

thanks again i ran all tests and am not happy with the speed i will contact my supplier with the results and post back with reply on how i get on.many thanks again for the help.patso

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…