broad band no phoneline

billy10ft 12:03 31 Oct 05

Hi i have no phone line i live in a shared house renting and i am not allowed to install one can you get broadband without a phone line? I need a gd connection for playing games like half life2 2meg ideally, does satalite or wi fi cost alot more and peform alot less than asdl thanku

PaulB2005 12:10 31 Oct 05

Only through cable provider like NTL or Telewest.

WiFi is used internally once you have Broadband to distribute boradband round the house and i not method of getting broadband into the house.

Satellite is very expensive.

Lozzy 12:11 31 Oct 05

only if you go with cable as apposed to dsl

DuncanG 12:33 31 Oct 05

Well depends where u live, couple suppliers in the london/thames area supply wireless broadband so no need for any cables.

I believe where i live the provide is Netvigator or something similar.

DuncanG 12:34 31 Oct 05

This site click here will show you what postcodes are covered.

See, there is always a third way!!!

PaulB2005 12:36 31 Oct 05
  DuncanG 12:37 31 Oct 05

Yeah i was suprised when i saw it was commercially available too. It's a great service that i needed when i used to rent in a shared house like the chap here.

johnnyrocker 12:39 31 Oct 05

very little up to date info it would seem.

DuncanG 12:41 31 Oct 05

Care to expand johnny?

octal 12:46 31 Oct 05

I just went to your link to find out as matter of interest if it was available in my area, the problem is rather than telling you if its available they want to know the in's and out's of..... regarding your personal information.

My question is why do they need to know all that information just to tell you if their product is available? It sounds like a sales pitch to me to receive even more spam through the snail mail or on the telephone.

Sorry, I don't mean to rubish your link, but they do seem to want to know a lot.

DuncanG 12:49 31 Oct 05

I'm very confused mate, PaulB's link asks you for postcode and number to see whether u are in range....hardly excessive information request!!

Then it goes to teh next page where the left hand side of the page tells u whether u can be connected or not, and if not it asks for contact details to update you when the service becomes available.

Are they meant to use ESP to determine your address?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…