Britannica 2006 - Reinstallation Problems

johndrew 18:57 06 Feb 06

I originally posted this on the Helproom Forum; hindsight tells me that as a beginner this is probably the right forum for me.

Shortly after received the last magazine (128) I installed Britannica and it worked fine. I then had a virus and lost it. This almost certainly because I restored to a very early point (later restores failed to work) and a substantial Windows repair.

I reinstalled eMail Tracker without any problem and it works correctly, but Britannica is different. Now when I install it it appears to be fine (takes the serial number and goes through the install routine) but when I run it I get the headers and frame but the remainder is white and nothing I have tried makes it work.

Any suggestions as to files that I may have missed in my clean up or ideas to get a workable solution please?

What I have tried several times is:-

1. shut down the firewall and AVG

2. installed it and ran it - still no data only the frame

3. rebooted the PC and ran it again - still no data

4. removed Britannica using `Add/Remove`

5. ran `Search` for any entries and/or files - found two, both in C:\Documents and
Settings\`my name`\application data\spybot - search & destroy\RegLocalReg. Both have the same date 16.01.2006 and are of a similar size. Presumably these are Registry entries(?).

6. ran `Registry Mechanic` and found nine problems, two mentioned Britannica. Repaired.

7. rebooted

8. shut down the firewall and AVG

9. installed it and ran it - still no data only the frame

10. rebooted the PC and ran it again - still no data

Britannica is currently not installed as it wont work.

I have no more ideas other than there is an entry somewhere telling part of the program either not to run or not letting it install properly.

More help would be appreciated.

johndrew 12:41 07 Feb 06

I did a bit more digging and managed to copy the two entries from `5.` above. they may help.

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-725345543-1935655697-2147112213-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\Britannica 2006]

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-725345543-1935655697-2147112213-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\Britannica 2006\Concise]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Britannica 2006]
"Concise CD"="D:\Britanica\Concise\starter.exe"

RickyC :-) 12:49 07 Feb 06

hi JohnDrew,

As your problem is quite specific to the recent changes you've made to your system, you might get a swifter response if you call EB's tech support line - or email them.

Their number is 0906 751 0101, open 10.30am - 4.30pm UK time, and calls cost 75p/min.

regards
Richard Clooke
CD Editor

johndrew 16:39 07 Feb 06

Hi Richard,

I emailed them last week but no response to date. Given that the program loaded perfectly first time, I`m certain it is something (probably simple - to someone) that occured during the problems I had. The question is what!

Thanks for the `phone number, I`ll give this a little more time as I have a premium rate block on the `phone line due to diallers.

Regards.

johndrew 13:59 09 Feb 06

Hi Richard,

I have had a very concise and helpful response, to my email, from Britannica Technical Support. I am now the proud owner of a functional copy of the 2006 CD version.

Thanks for your suggestions.

highspeed 11:57 05 Mar 06

please can u send me serial number for cover disk
thanks martin

johndrew 12:57 05 Mar 06

Sorry highspeed the FE has requested we don`t do this click here and scroll down for his comments.

If you have the cover disk it is simple to get the serial number by clicking the link. If I remember correctly the link is within PCA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…