Britannica 2003 DVD slow

Bebee 09:18 21 Apr 03

I have installed Britannica successfully but it is painfully slow to start up. Have tried Britannica technical support and followed suggestions - remove PC-Cillin from the Bios and install with nothing running except Explorer and Systray. I have also made sure the program is aligned.

It still takes a very long time to reach the welcome screen, perform the first search/browse and to access the DVD for the first time. After that it is useable.

I have Win ME, 450Mz, 512MB, 6,4Gb HDD with plenty of space left - which meets Britannica recommended requirements. I have done a clean install of ME and have removed clutter and uneeded progs from startup and kept it clean and defragged. The system runs remarkably quickly now with everything else and is very stable.

I can at least use the program once it has chugged to life, but would appreciate any ideas or comments from anyone else with experience of the prog (as far as I know it is no different from the CD version except all data on one disk).

Thanks

Bebee 12:01 21 Apr 03

Just to give an idea of what I mean by 'slow' - the whole system boots completely in under 2 mins (1 min 50 secs to be exact) - Britannica takes between 3&4 mins to get going depending on what I select.

Most other programs I use (Office/Photoshop/Quicken and the like) start up in under 10 secs. I know that Britannica is probably more complex with data/searches etc. but it does seem a bit excessive.

Doing various searches there do seem to be complaints about Britannica, so unless someone has experience of speeding it up I may just have to live with it.

Bebee 22:59 21 Apr 03

No ideas?

I'll mark as resolved in the morning.

Thanks to anyone whose given it some thought.

Offline 01:01 22 Apr 03

Refresh...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…