Briefcase - how do i get rid of it!!

RickB 08:05 07 Jun 05

I've set up a Briefcase on my laptop (running XP2 SP2). I find I have now finished with some files and so delete them. But Update keeps trying to bring them back! Then if i try to delete the Briefcase and start again, it tells me it is still open and can't be deleted.

So how do I close it?

I'm confused!

Graham ® 09:11 07 Jun 05

Windows does not allow you to uninstall Briefcase:

click here

Micro-Man 13:20 07 Jun 05

Just delete it! To get a new one, just right click the desktop and select New and Briefcase is you ever need it again.

iambeavis 13:34 07 Jun 05

If you want to get rid of Briefcase permanently - run > regedit > HK_Classes Root scroll down to briefcase and delete (Don't forget to back-up the entry in case you ever want to install it again). Go to C:\Windows\System32 and remove Syncapp.exe (Move it to a new folder and save it just in case etc.).

Micro-Man 15:41 07 Jun 05

sorry, I misread your posting and see you've already tried to delete it. Try restarting in safe mode, (keep tapping F8 on boot up) and retry deleting briefcase.

RickB 19:25 07 Jun 05

Thanks guys - starting up in Safe Mode allowed me to delete it so I can start again. Nice tip. Thanks for the idea of RegEdit but that whole area scares me to death!!

Great help as always!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…