Breaking up an MP3 Track

Border View 10:52 14 Jul 09

A couple of years ago I transferred a recording of my Dad playing the piano one evening from a cassette to my computer (no longer have that computer and cannot find the cassette). In my ignorance I just connected the two up and set it away to record.

Result was one huge MP3 track which if you want to listen to any part you have to sit through the whole thing (about an hour). At the time I burnt a copy (now the only copy) onto a CD and gave it to my brother.

I can now borrow the CD and copy it to my new computer. Is there any way I can break this one MP3 track down into each individual song that Dad played.

Would welcome your advice.

UK Sub 11:15 14 Jul 09

click here

This was how to crop and save wav files and should work just as well with mp3

At the end, go to File> Export As Mp3

I must stress though 'make a copy of your track' and alter that (just in case it all goes wrong and you want to start again).

Audacity click here

Border View 11:39 14 Jul 09

Thanks for that UK Sub. I have Audacity but must admit I have never used it. Will give it a go though.

I am Spartacus 11:51 14 Jul 09

I use Cool MP3 Splitter, dead easy for one-off jobs click here

Border View 17:16 14 Jul 09

Thanks for that I am Spartacus. It looks a bit easier that the comprehensive/professional software Audacity.

Will copy the CD onto computer the duplicate files and give both bits of software a go.

Thank you for responding.

eedcam 18:19 14 Jul 09

Cant see the point of buying software to do what audacity can do for free its only a matter of finding the breaks saving the selection as wave or mp3 depending on whether you want to make a proper cd or amp3 one then use wmm or whatever to burn to cd

I am Spartacus 19:19 14 Jul 09

I haven't had to pay for using Cool MP3 Splitter, mind you I only used it a few times within a few hours for a one-off job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now