Break XP

wossie 19:59 01 May 08

Hi, this might sound like a strange one, I sold a PC to a "friend", ha.
The problem is he won't pay me for it, saying he has no money at present, this is going on for months. What I need to do is delete or modify something to create a problem so I can take it to my house for repair, say it is beyond repair and never return it.
It will have to be somthing quick as I will have to get him to leave the room for a few minutes. I have tried swapping system folders etc. between other computers I have but they worked fine afterwards. any suggestions. Thanks.

rossgolf 20:04 01 May 08

take a sledgehammer....may be quick but is messy

rossgolf 20:06 01 May 08

purposely download some form of virus from somewhere

Go into run type msconfig and select selective startup and select one file and restart

To undo this is to load up safemode and go into run type msconfig and select normal startup
Hope it helps

wossie 20:08 01 May 08

I don't want to use a sledgehammer as I want it back, and there is antivirus installed.

MAT ALAN 20:09 01 May 08

SIMPLE, take the PC back till they can pay for it, why bother with all the underhand stuff!!! you wossie or woossie....

wossie 20:10 01 May 08

The msconfig one is a good idea, but which one?

wossie 20:11 01 May 08

He obviously won't let me take it back, without a "fight", so I need some excuse..........

Technotiger 20:26 01 May 08

Depends how computer savvy he is - a simple one is to disable all the sound options in Devices. A right-click on the sound devices will give you the option to Disable.

Fingees 20:48 01 May 08

Threaten with the small claims court.
It's cheap, and you'll get it back.

wis 21:07 01 May 08

as you say time available
if poss i would do it from bios cmos boot from
so nothing loads

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…