Branded/Custom or both?

Procrastinat0r 11:45 19 Feb 10

I have been procrastinating for months online whilst saving up voucher 'incentives' from work paid as commission.

I require a full system (monitor/keyboard etc) for gaming/internet and beginner music production at a later date.

I have £500 pc world vouchers but I am also prepared to spend an extra £400+/- cash to get some future proofing/upgrade ability.

Could I buy a base system custom built and use the vouchers for peripherals and upgrades but I would like some advice if anyone is willing?

I have been considering a good dual core for more affordability with top end graphics or try to keep costs down on a good quad. What would you do if you had these vouchers?

Many thanks!

Terry Brown 12:12 19 Feb 10

I suggest you contact PC World and ask them about the exchange value of the vouchers.
i.e. Ae they only for a new computer,Can I use them to buy add-on's( printer,fax,software etc).

As for Future Proofing- There is no such thing-- You can get the best machine for your needs today, and tommorrow a newer macher, better graphics,memory etc may come out.

If you are condidering music production you may find Apple-Mac, have better hardware / software, but it may cost you more.
Terry

Procrastinat0r 09:59 22 Feb 10

Thanks for the reply Terry.

I will primarily use the pc for gaming so a mac is out in my mind.

Pc World will not exchange the vouchers for cash and they can be spent on any items in store or online.

Although you cannot future proof a PC I would like to rephrase. To put it another way if I was to buy a branded pc from pcworld/currys/dixons I would like some upgrade options - like space in the case, the right motherboard to allow for upgrades i.e no integrated graphics, space for more ram, a good array of connections and space for a better sound card at a later date.

Their staff and literature are too ambiguous for me to know for sure.

I was wondering if any machines they stock would satisfy this requirement.

However, if they don't stock anything of value like this at the moment, as I fear, a suggestion on a good custom build company for the base unit, including a decent case/processor/power supply/motherboard/ram for £400 +/- the rest I can upgrade like a ati 5750 (£149) from pcworld, monitor(£150ish), OS (£105), keyboard etc.

As I am still playing games with relatively old engines I am torn between the thought of a really good dual or triple core or spending a bit extra for a good quad core plus. Any suggestions based on my thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm borrowing someone's failing laptop at the moment...

Terry Brown 19:59 25 Feb 10

With the specs you have in mind, I think you will have to go for the custom build job

Try this list - none tried personally
click here+

Terry

Procrastinat0r 16:54 26 Feb 10

Thanks Terry,

I had a Mesh in mind already but £554 incl VAT seems a little steep considering a package they do incl the os & gpu is only slightly more.

AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Quad Core Processor AM3 (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache)
XGS Gaming Chassis - Midi Tower Black / Black Mesh + 550W PSU
ASUS M4A77TD Pro Mainboard- AMD 770 CrossFireX- AM3 Phenom™ II, DDR3 - ATX
4GB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM - (2x2GB)
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
22x Dual Layer DVD Writer Super Format +R/-R/RW/RAM
256MB NVIDIA GeForce GPU - Integrated Graphics (M2N68-AM)
7.1 High Definition onboard sound card - for 8 Channel Cinema sound

I was going to upgrade to a better gpu & buy w7 from pc world with the vouchers.

Anyone aware of anything out there to beat this at a better price?

lotvic 17:21 26 Feb 10

I strongly advise before you get a mesh, go on the Consumerwatch forum (link on left of this page) and put mesh in the Search Forum box to read of others experiences

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…