Brand New PC - MoBo BIOS Flash question

MartinT-B 15:32 10 Mar 03

I have have just ordered the Asus A7N8X deluxe and am about to build my first PC.

Looking at the Asus site there are already a couple of BIOS updates.

The site tells me to create a bootable floppy, unzip the AWDFLASH.EXE file to it then, at the DOS prompt type "run A:\AWDflash.EXE" - choose option 1 - save current bios. Then choose 2 - update.

The question is:

Should I do this BEFORE I load XP Pro?

Can I take out the original floppy (with the updated Bios on it) and save the current settings to e new (formatted) floppy? then change the floppy back to flash the new bios?

I am assuming that I can create the floppy using windows 98 at work.

Stuartli 15:57 10 Mar 03

If you go to the Phoenix.com website, there are full instructions in the BIOS updates FAQ section (presumably you have an Award BIOS), including how to set up the floppy.

medicine hat 16:03 10 Mar 03

I wouldn't do anything unless the system you build doesn't work or is unstable. Does the bios download section indicate you may have a problem?

I think most mobos come with windows programs to update the bios these days - you may find that easier

MartinT-B 16:17 10 Mar 03

Update Serial ATA option ROM to 4.1.50.
Fix that system fails to flash BIOS by pressing Alt+F2 buttons when USB mouse is enabled.
Fix that USB port 3,4 can not resume from S3/S4.
Improve motherboard stability when using Infineon DDR333.
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: click here

Those are the updates fixed with bios update - I want to make the USB is working correctly!

MartinT-B 17:19 10 Mar 03

Asus have option to update the bios winin windows that apparently works well!

Will flash to start with above update and try the windows version in future if I need to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…