Brand new laptop regularly crshing

pavvi 08:25 11 Aug 05

I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 6000, with 40gbhdd, 512mb ram, 1.6 Ghz 725A Centrino chip, I've had it less than a week, and when i log in, it is trying to install something (don't know what)eventually windows installer fails saying that Norton doesn't support repairs. On four occasions I've ended up with a lovely blue screen telling me that memory dump has started and that the computer has shut itself down to avoid damasge. It won't even allow me to restart so I have to take the battery out to go back. When I do restart, windows tells me that the system has recovered from a serious error and I take the option to send an error report, and it seems that symantec is causing the problem (I thought that antivirus is supposed to assist you not hinder you) I followed the links in the error report but the symantec website on the issue was absolutely no help at all, with a list of viruses, which might suggest that they are the cause. Norton also doesn't like me having windows firewall on, I always leave it on.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers for your help

jack 08:34 11 Aug 05

Is Norton part of the supplied set up and
do you have the program disk?
Is Norton is a software you have purchased separately and you do have a disk
If you can answer yes to either of these then the answer is to uninstall Norton to see if the machine will run clean.

If Norton is a 'builtin' feature and you have no disk then you have to contact Dell before you remove it .

Removing a given program and re installing one by one is the only way to reveal a duff install.
It helps of course if you have all the disks.

pavvi 08:40 11 Aug 05

I haven't got the disks and it is a 3 month free trial.....I've heard some horror stories about Norton, I'll have to get in touch with dell.

€dstowe 08:54 11 Aug 05

The magic words here are "I've just bought - - -"

You don't have to put up with this. Reject the item as unfit for purpose and either get a replacement or your money back. You don't have to accept a repair.

Jade 14 G 10:23 11 Aug 05

Sorry about spelling but i alwas get that wrong.
I bought a desk top pc from Dell an had the above installed, l went mad with it and wouldn't touch hat ati virus at all now, it crashed just like ours and l was on the phone to Dell for 6 weeks and got nowhere so in the end got a 'fujitsu Siemens lap top but am have probs wth the modem but thats aol and there sending another but still have Dell pc from Febuary this year,wouldn't touch Dell ever now
Jade

03goldingjam 10:29 11 Aug 05

Have you changed the location of the Norton programme on the start menu?

pavvi 17:45 11 Aug 05

I'm reasonably happy with the setup and the spec that i have (it cost £508 all in) I've heard that Norton can cause problems like this. Norton is amongst the programmes on the all programmes and there is a shortcut on the desktop. I had a guy in the same shopping centre as me who runs a computer stall that has offered to clear the Norton off and put a different one in for £27, he says that Norton often causes problems like this. I'm not 100% about the guy concerned, other people have told me to be wary of him. It doesn't crash everytime I sign on, but the computer is trying to install something, I think there is something on startup where you can look at a log of which programme is doing this can anyone remember what programme it is on xp home? Is there any reason why Norton doesn't like me having Windows Firewall on?

Cheers for the answers so far guys....

pavvi 17:45 11 Aug 05

I'm reasonably happy with the setup and the spec that i have (it cost £508 all in) I've heard that Norton can cause problems like this. Norton is amongst the programmes on the all programmes and there is a shortcut on the desktop. I had a guy in the same shopping centre as me who runs a computer stall that has offered to clear the Norton off and put a different one in for £27, he says that Norton often causes problems like this. I'm not 100% about the guy concerned, other people have told me to be wary of him. It doesn't crash everytime I sign on, but the computer is trying to install something, I think there is something on startup where you can look at a log of which programme is doing this can anyone remember what programme it is on xp home? Is there any reason why Norton doesn't like me having Windows Firewall on?

Cheers for the answers so far guys....

pavvi 17:46 11 Aug 05

I havewn't changed the location at all of Norton....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:57 11 Aug 05

If its a 3 months free trial then ditch it now!

Norton is a resource hog and thee are better virus detctors that will cost Nothing and not slow the computer as much as Norton.

Uninstall it and download ZoneAlarm as your firewall click here as your firewall (switch off windows firewall after downloading and disconnecting fron the net install ZA before reconnecting)

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

any combination you like of the above (my preference is spyware blaster + MSantispy)

One only of Anti Virus :-
Antivir click here
Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

I like Avast but AVG is as good an very popular with forum members.

jack 18:00 11 Aug 05

If you are new to computing then perhaps the offer is reasonable one- but you have be certain that it is the Norton that is the problem.
Removing Norton is easy , installing a new A/V software is easier still and free for example AVG7.
So if you are happy to go ahead we here can tell you how to get rid of the offending program and install the free one, but you have to be certain that this is the problem.
Suggest you speak to Dell first before you take any drastic steps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…