brand new hard drive,now can't load windows 98

oddbod 18:35 15 Oct 03

please help i bought a new 40gig hard drive which wouldnt work with my mother-board ..so i flashed the bios as i was advised to do by the mother-board manufacturers it accepted the new hard drive with no problems ... appeared to load windows98se but when it gets to the hardware wizard to add my monitor (the first thing it does after loading windows for the first time) it crashes .. have tried re-installing windows twice but it still crashes .. there is nothing wrong with my windows cd or my monitor as i formatted and re-installed windows on my old hard drive and everything is fine i dont know if its because i flashed the bios? or if there is something wrong with the hard-drive (although it seems to go well till the wizard) i would be really grateful for any suggestions
thank-you

pepe 18:39 15 Oct 03

Try starting in Safe Mode and installing the .inf file for the monitor manually.

oddbod 18:49 15 Oct 03

thanks for the help and excuse me for being thick(ok i'm a woman) how do i add the monitor inf? i can get as far as safe mode but dont know what to do then
thanks

Djohn 19:03 15 Oct 03

What type of monitor do you have, CRT or TFT? also do you have a separate driver for your monitor?

If you have a separate driver, then load windows as normal and if the "Wizard" appears, click on "Skip" let Windows continue to load using it's own drivers.

When loaded and working, go to your control panel and click on, Settings/advanced/monitor/properties again, then the driver tab.

Click on "Update driver" choose, "Let me select my own" and insert your monitor driver and follow on-screen instructions. j.

Djohn 19:06 15 Oct 03

Excuse me if I've misunderstood your question! I'm also a bit thick and of the male species. ;o)

R4 19:13 15 Oct 03

If your Video card is AGP you may have to add your video card drivers before the monitor as win98 defaults to VGA which can cause the monitor to behave erratically.

R4 19:15 15 Oct 03

Also if you flashed you bios you may have to reset some of the settings to suit your system.

oddbod 22:21 15 Oct 03

am i right in thinking that when i have flashed the bios i should then reset the settings eg irq settings to what they were originally?.. thats 1 thing i didnt check so maybe that could be the problem .. and also looking more closly it accepts the monitor then crashes on the plug and play bit before i can get to clicking skip, and can i sort out the video drivers in safe mode (maybe i should take some kind of computer course )

R4 19:35 16 Oct 03

If you hve set some of the IRQ's for specific hardware ie: a modem you would need to reset these to the originals, how ever the bios should have two options that should work initialy:-

Default and performance settings. these should work and you can tweak them later.

Is the add hardware wizard for the monitor appearing whilst you are installing windows or once you have completed the first windows load

oddbod 22:22 16 Oct 03

thanks for the info... this is happening on the first windows boot after installation the first thing it does is find and add the dell monitor the 2nd thing is to add plug and play monitor.. this is where it freezes before i can click skip or anything i went into safe mode to try and add monitor separatly but i have no drivers for the monitor so i cant do that ....... after trying to add this hard drive i then re-flashed the bios back to the original bios and then did a format and clean install of the same windows on my old hard drive and everything went perfectly thats why i thought it was either the hard drive (if it is i can get an exchange/refund) or the bios flashing that was at fault and i am a bit worried about re-flashing the bios to try it all again without really knowing what the problem might be. thanks for your time

Rtus 22:42 16 Oct 03

Some monitors require you to cancel the windows add hardware routine ..canceling leaves it as a default monitor.. You then run the floppy /cd to install the monitor driver /utilities..For removal try>>> Press F8 to get to safe mode then go to start > settings>control panel>SYSTEM> Devices and remove the monitors (theres probably more than 1)shown in the device list .apply and save ..On restart remember to cancel search for drivers, Then try as above with its driver floppy/cd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…