Brand new computer is really noisy

Arexor 20:55 01 Jul 14

Hello there. I bought my computer one month ago (june 2014) because my old computer started to get really noisy. The problem is that the new one is at least as noisy as the old one. Especially when I play games (Heroes of Newerth or World of Warcraft), the fan really speeds up. Both these games should be eaten up by my computer: HP Envy 15 Notebook. Processor: AMD A8-550M with integrated Radeon HD graphics (4 CPUs), 2,1GHz. Ram: 8200 Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 8550G + 8750M dual graphics. 6219 MB total graphic memory. I use a pretty big screen with my computer (around 1900x1200 resolution). Can this be the reason? Hoping for a quick reply.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:02 01 Jul 14

screen size shouldn't make a difference

bad idead to use e-mail as username in open forum, go to My profiles at top of page and change you user name otherwise you will be spammed to death

Arexor 09:41 02 Jul 14

Thanks for your reply. That was my thought as well, but as I'm looking for any explanationto to my problem, I consider anything :) Thanks for the tip on forum name. Didn't think it through!

Arexor 16:47 02 Jul 14

Thank you. That's what I thought. Tested yesterday without the screen turned on and it didn't seem to make that much noise. However, that was only for a short period of time. As long as the computer doesn't overheat, it's just annoying with the sound though. Any way to fix this? Buying better GPU? Better power supply?

wee eddie 17:18 02 Jul 14

The more stress you put on a CPU the hotter it will get. Games are the most stressful things a PC can do.

Look to the Cooling System. Larger, low speed fans could help.

Also make sure that your airflows are clear

Woolwell 17:20 02 Jul 14

The external monitor shouldn't make a significant difference but you are trying to play games on a laptop. Where it is positioned, on what surface and how clear the air intakes are will make a slight difference. Upgrading GPU and power supply on a laptop is not normally an option.

wee eddie 17:29 02 Jul 14

Missed the word "Notebook"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 02 Jul 14

laptop cooler may make the machine run cooler and reduce the noise but not sure how noisy the cooler might be.

Arexor 22:44 02 Jul 14

The laptop is placed straight onto my desktop (coloured wood) with lots of space for air to come in. The "top" is open. I've also tried to lay it upside down as I thought that would get some more air into the vents. Could always try to clean the areas around the fan, but the PC is almost completely new and I suppose not much dirt could be there.

wee eddie 23:30 02 Jul 14

Has anyone tried to look up this laptop? I'm on my phone at the moment and it's difficult to check but the Specs don't add up to me

Arexor 12:59 04 Jul 14

Specs directly copied from dxdiag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…