//some 3rd party need geo

Brand new computer - no sound

MandN 12:56 24 Nov 05

I have tried to un-install and reinstall the sound card and there is no yellow exclamation mark against the icon for sound.

No cds will play sound and there are no closing down noises from the computer.
The volume is set to almost maximum and mute is not clicked.
Have tried (woring) speakers and headphones in all the sockets.

I am administrator on the computer
NOthing that Watford electronics suggests does any good. They just say - oh it's software and that's not covered by any warranty etc.
Please help.
Many thanks

PaulB2005 12:58 24 Nov 05

What colour port are the speakers plugged into?

MandN 13:20 24 Nov 05

We have tried both blue and green sockets. THe sound is on-board.
Thanks

DieSse 14:09 24 Nov 05

Do you have front panel sockets - have you tried those too?

PaulB2005 14:33 24 Nov 05

Speaker should go into the Liht green port.

Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices.

Can you check the Volume slider isn't right down and that Mute isn't selected (ticked)

keef66 14:50 24 Nov 05

is the on-board sound disabled in the bios?

Hit del button as it starts up, you'll end up in the bios setup options. Instructions at the bottom of the screen will tell you how to navigate and change things.

MandN 15:05 24 Nov 05

Thanks
The sound is not disabled in the bios

PaulB2005 15:23 24 Nov 05

Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices.

Can you check the Volume slider isn't right down and that Mute isn't selected (ticked)

johndrew 16:02 24 Nov 05

I had a similar problem.

At the bottom left of the toolbar you should see a speaker icon. If you Left Click it you will get a volume slider and a Mute check box - make sure the slider is at the top and the check box is clear. You coluld also go to Control Panel and Left Click Sounds and Audio Devices to get the Volume slider and check box. Ensure Place volume icon in the task bar is checked (it makes volume access easier).

If this fails or is as above and still no sound - Right Click the speaker icon and you will get a large volume control window, ensure all sliders are at the top and none of the Mute boxes is checked.

Select properties and ensure all check boxes are selected in both Playback and Recording. You probably don`t need Phone Line checked but it wont matter.

pj123 17:15 24 Nov 05
  jack 19:51 24 Nov 05

On board sound needs its program/driver- usually found onthe Motherboard utility disc.
As I have never purchased a 'ready made' I would not know what you get in the way of supplied discs or how 'set up' the machine was when you took delivery, and how much You have to set up.
If you have a Utilities disk look for something like
AVRack or similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…