Brain dead uninstal of wireless network settings

greybeard 00:15 06 Jan 06

OK Let's assume I have made a complete mess of all the multiple settings in trying to set up a wireless network, (it's between this laptop a toshiba running xp2 and a compaq running 98se)
No internet connectivity is involved as it will only be used off line.
If I go through the standard process of uninstalling the intel software for the card on the laptop, and ditto with the Belkin software on the compaq, when I re- install do I return to a default setting automatically ?
Old network names keep reappearing and there seems to be now way that I can find to clear them.

recap 09:54 06 Jan 06

I would imagine that the default setting would reappear. The old network names will stay for a while, but will go away of their own accord. Just give your new network a new name.

greybeard 12:38 06 Jan 06

This is what I'm hoping, but I shall leave this unticked until I find it actually happens(I'll give it ten cold boots), or someone has other suggestions.

Forum Editor 23:05 06 Jan 06

can be rolled back using the system restore, so that part will be straightforward.

Uninstalling the Belkin software on the 98SE machine will almost certainly leave legacy references in the registry - and these may be picked up on the reinstall.

If you feel like a trip into the registry you can check for Belkin references and delete them before reinstalling.

greybeard 10:27 07 Jan 06

Thanks FE. I'll look for the Belkin lines in te registry, but I'll check back if I have any doubts.
Regarding using system restore for the xp machine. Each recent point will, I assume, have the settings that I had messed up that far.
So how will I know when I have the default settings ? For instance which client/protocols should be there so that I can now start afresh from my slightly increased knowledge base ?

greybeard 22:29 09 Jan 06

I've managed to get the wireless network up and running, having re-installed everything about six times.
The only remaining idiosyncrasy is that the laptop appears to be on one network, the desktop is on another, and both are wrong, because they are both on a third ! (Both Explorer windows shows the same error. )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac