vinnyo123 02:56 28 Jun 04

Frontpage 2002.

I am making a Web page and used some basic shapes and added text to them.I am trying to lock users out from being able to change there view on this site. Certian things will over lap on largest view. I tried changing thins over to pixels but didn't seem to make a difference. I looked into CSS but couldn't quite get to much out of it in the time I there a simple solution for this ?

thanks in advance!

Gaz 25 21:45 28 Jun 04

I wouldnt use AutoShapes in webpages! They will overlap I'm afraid and theres no way to prevent users from using larger screens.

Taran 22:29 28 Jun 04

A fixed layout is, as the name suggests, not subject to the user resizing it (much).

With this in mind you could, if you really wanted to, create a graphic of your intended end result at the size you want to display it and include it as a background or table cell content. I'm not suggesting this as a good solution for a moment though, before anyone jumps on me for promoting poor design.

The trouble is, most browsers allow the user to alter your font size. You can override this but in doing so you can alientate your users who keep their browser font size to their preferred dimensions for ease of reading (normally). In preventing font resizing you could make your site unreadable by some visitors and, on the flip side of this, if the user resizes your font to an extreme degree it can seriously affect the overall layout of other page elements.

The quick answer is that no, there is not a simple solution.

Using a fixed layout with page content in predetermined positions that will not alter on a large screen could help up to a point. Frankly though, without knowing just how much you are trying to cram onto a page it is difficult to advise on any one possible solution that may work, or not as the case may be.

vinnyo123 04:08 29 Jun 04

I was just wondering how some sites do it (like this one )a user cannot resize text.Everything seems to be locked in place.

And for the Basic shapes I quess tables will be best to use ?

vinnyo123 03:39 30 Jun 04

how do I get tables to work independ when side by side.For instance If I put a table 1/4 of page I cannot getr curser on side of table to type or insert another table.Or if I put to Cells (tables side by side they size together not independent.Is this a frontpage fault should I get another program.Just try to make a layout for argument sake like this page using tables I tried shapes worked well but not to good for overlaps.Trying tables but problems as listed above.Is there another way to get results I am looking for.

Taran 08:17 30 Jun 04

This site is not locked in the way you seem to think, at least not in some browsers. In Mozilla I can use the View, Text Zoom tool to increase or decrease the page fonts on the PC Advisor site, and the same goes for Opera. IE seems not to want to play ball though.

A table on a web page will occupy whatever width of the page you tell it to and, by default, the next table will normally appear below the first unless you start getting into some pretty impressive positioning code.

Try this:

<div align="center">

<table border="1" width="90%" id="table1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4">

<td colspan="3"> </td>

<td width="150" height="400" valign="top"> </td>

<td height="400" valign="top"> </td>

<td height="400" width="150" valign="top"> </td>

<td colspan="3"> </td>

Paste that into a new page and it will give you a 90% page width table with a header cell for the page title, a footer cell for your copyright statement and three content cells - the left one is for your navigation buttons/links, the middle one will display your main page content while the right one is optional for any other information.

This will resize to any browser on all screen resolutions to 90% of the available screen width.

The middle row content cells have been given a fixed 400 pixel height. You could give them a percentage value if you like; I've used pixels just to illustrate the layout. Use percentage heights carefully and take the content of the header and footer cells into account when applying them.

Don't use a height property on the table itself, set the height in a cell inside the table. Make sure that if you set a table cell to be 400 x 400 pixels you don't try to put a 500 x 500 pixel image into it. Sorry if that sounds obvious but you'd be surprised at how many people create a nice layout then prompty knock it sideways by putting content into cells too small to hold it.

Use the table tools in FrontPage by right clicking in your table and select Table Properties to adjust the entire table, or right click in a table cell and select Cell Properties to adjust only that cell.

Rather than use many tables on a page you should give some serious thought to creating a single table to contain the page layout and use cells within the table to control what goes where.

FrontPage has some nice drawing tools for tables which allow you to draw the table then each layout cell where you want to put content. I'd concentrate on keeping things simple for now but there's not much you can't do with FrontPage if you spend the time to learn it and the table drawing tools are nice if you know how.

It sounds as though you could do worse than sit down and sketch out what you'd like to see on the page then go through the layout in FrontPage. In fact, if you have a good image editor you may be able to create your layout as a graphic, create slices of the graphis to represent parts of a web page table and then export the graphic as HTML. You can then use the code in any web editor and develop from there. It's a useful visual way to get where you want to be if you're very, very careful about the size of the images you produce, which can sometimes get out of hand.

The problem seems to be that you're trying to cram tables next to tables instead of using one table with carefully thought out cells inside it to hold your content.

vinnyo123 17:23 30 Jun 04

Taran that is exactly what I was trying to do.That code worked out perfect for my layout.I am gonna have to study those tags and save them in safe place.

Thanks for sparing some time to help out!!!!!

mjojo 21:14 30 Jun 04

You can also fix the font size with css: click here

mjojo 21:28 30 Jun 04

Combining the 2 will give you complete control. You could also create a table that covers the whole screen and split it into colums thus:

<TABLE border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="10">
<TD WIDTH="10%" valign="top">

<TD WIDTH="80%" valign="top">

<TD WIDTH="10%" valign="top">

I do like Taran's idea tho. Gonna try that.

Taran 22:32 30 Jun 04

Although mjojo is perfectly correct in mentioning that fonts may be fixed or locked in size using CSS it is not something I'd recommend.

Different browsers and some alternative platforms (Apple Mac OS and certain Linux distributions) sometimes render fonts in an unexpected manner. By locking a font, depending on how you choose to size it, you can actually force it to display too small in some browsers, sometimes to the point where it is entirely illegible.

Not many people who regularly use page zoom or a larger than default font size via their browser to ease the eyes will be impressed if they have to alter their preferred settings when a font is locked.

We could go on for ages on this one (I could anyway) but in brief, pixel, point and em sizes can sometimes produce an unexpected result, as can other methods of sizing fonts.

I just thought I'd mention that although it is something you can do, if you decide you want to do it it should be done very, very carefully or trouble can ensue.

PurplePenny 16:08 01 Jul 04

There's an interesting article on what browsers do to fonts here:

click here

Follow the links in the article to see some surprising results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…