Bought a laptop but......

adam_huxtable 18:39 30 Apr 05

I bought a laptop yesterday a Toshiba model the problem is the battery seems to be going down very fast, I have let it fully die and recharged it fully but still dies before at least 2 hours.

This is my first laptop so this question may sound stupid but can you use the laptop without the battery in the back, so its jus running off the mains, also would it damage it if I mainly use the laptop mainly when the ac adaptor (charger) is plugged in?

Dorsai 18:51 30 Apr 05

I think I am safe in saying that it is perfectly Ok to use it without the battery and run it solely on the mains adaptor.

I guess it was second hand?

If so the battery is probably dead. It may have reached the end of it's life, as rechargeable batteries have a finite charge-discharge cycle, OR it may have been 'missused' by the previous owner.

But in either case, you should be able to run it off the mains without the battery.

beeuuem 19:19 30 Apr 05

The length of battery life between charges will vary according to what you are doing click here

If you are using the laptop from the mains the general consenus seems to be that you are better removing the battery. click here

adam_huxtable 19:21 30 Apr 05

Thanks for the help, it is brand new so it cant be the battery at the end of its life, i heard i may have to let it die and fully recharge it about 3 times then the battery should last longer, I am going to try that and take it from there.

bosmere 20:17 30 Apr 05

adam_huxtable if you're getting up to 2 hours from your battery you're doing better than me.

Depends on what I'm doing but sometimes mine only lasts 1 hour. Wherever I take it I usually plug it into the mains.

Diodorus Siculus 20:20 30 Apr 05

As implied above, a lot depends on what you are doing with the machine - two hours is about average. If you are using the optical drives a lot, that will make a difference.

On Suse Linux, my laptop will run 8 hours - if it is doing nothing else. If I am doing word processing I can get about 4. Anything else is a drain on the battery - DVD / music playing gives only a couple of hours.

I don't think that you have any cause for undue worry.

woodchip 20:21 30 Apr 05

Never Used My battery from new just tried it, then stored it in fridge in plastic bag

woodchip 20:24 30 Apr 05

How long it latest depends on what you are doing on the computer and what CPU fitted, is it a mobile CPU? and it may only be a cheap battery, you can get them with more cells

adam_huxtable 20:49 30 Apr 05

Thanks alot you guys, all your advise is all useful and much appreciated. I'm only gonna use the battery when out of the house otherwise it will be plugged in to the mains.

Once again thanks

Diodorus Siculus 22:34 30 Apr 05

Take the battery out when running on mains for long periods...

adam_huxtable 23:06 30 Apr 05

see i done that but when i tak the battery out it leaves a big hole in the botom with no cover over it. an the metal connecter on the laptop are left bare is thta ok?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…