both disk drives aren't working

lonemascot 09:25 14 Jun 05

I have a CD RW and a DVD RW in my computer but for whatever reason they are not working. They will not read discs. It looks like i can burn something to the discs but when i check to see whats on it i can't. The CDRW just says that the disc can't be read beacause its the wrong format or its corrupted. I tried sticking my Windows XP disc in and it won't even read that. The Pioneer DVDRW just brings up an empty window.

I wanted to back up all my work onto disc so that i could format the H/D.

Any ideas on how to make the drives work?

lonemascot 09:36 14 Jun 05

If i put a music CD in and double click the disc drive in My Computer nothing happens and the same message appears. However if i play it through media player it works fine.

Does this mean there is something wrong with something in 'My Computer'.

lonemascot 11:08 14 Jun 05

Im still none the wiser

Fellsider 11:27 14 Jun 05

1. Are the jumpers set correctly (Master & Slave)?

2. Are they both on the same ribbon cable?

Connect only one drive, selected as master - does it work?

Yes - Connect other as slave - do they work now?

No - Connect second drive as master by itself - does this one work now?

Yes - connect other drive as slave - do they work now?

If NONE of the above ideas work try changing the ribbon cable and test again - failing that I've run out of ideas.

Micro-Man 13:13 14 Jun 05

Have you loaded any programs recently, eg prior to the fault occuring? Some, like Quicktime,Real Player Creatives Disc Detector etc, like to take control of your CD drives. Similarly, some anti virus programs scan all removable drives when new media is inserted. Could some of these settings have been changed causing your problem?

You say that you have Windows XP so try a system restore to a time prior to the fault, (though Norton will not allow system restore to work on some of it's files!)

Joe R 13:29 14 Jun 05

lonemascot,

can you download this little utility, and run it.

It seems to cure a lot of cd/dvd drive problems.

click here

lonemascot 22:45 15 Jun 05

they are on the same ribbon and as far as i know i have the jumpers set up exactly the same as the original drives that were previously installed when i bought the computer.

they were working fine. i don't know a defining point when they stopped to be honest. it may have been after i tried to burn my first DVD.

How do i set the jumpers up correctly?

lonemascot 22:48 15 Jun 05

i installed cdburnerxp pro but i'm not sure if the drives worked before that or not.

oh and i did install pionneers own driver for the 107D DVD R/W, but that was after it wasn't working.

i already tried the system restore but for some reason windows says it can't restore me to a point when i definitely knew both drives were working

lonemascot 22:51 15 Jun 05

i tried that utility but to no avail. it seemed to recognise that there was a problem but wasn't able to fix it. i read the repair log file but it didn't mean much to me.

i only want to store about 4.5 GB of data for a bit so i can reformat the H/D and start again.

alltime 01:57 16 Jun 05

Sounds like a conflict of drivers to me?
go to START, CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE,DEVICE MANAGER,
Look for your cd drive, RIGHT CLICK ON IT, GO TO PROPERTIES, UNINSTALL THE DRIVER.
Click ok and reboot the computer
USE YOUR CD THAT CAME WITH THE CD DRIVE AND REINSTALL IT or let windows install it by going back to the CD DRIVE IN DEVICE MANAGER AND CLICK UPDATE DRIVER,
This should put the driver side of it right.

alltime 13:02 16 Jun 05

Has this been sorted yet? if so can you close the thread. and a brief description as to the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…